Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Weatherby Mark V sporter or Vangaurd sporter..

Old 11-29-2004, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Weatherby Mark V sporter or Vangaurd sporter..

But unfortunely maybe it's my downfall--accuracy is the utmost concern-tac driving(so to speek) is what im wanting to be able to do.
Just don't set your accuracy expectations too high with a factory sporter weight rifle, because you'll probably be disappointed if you do. From a typical sub-$1000 sporter weight factory rifle the typical accuracy will be in the 1 to 2 MOA range with factory ammo. Under 1 MOA is great accuracy, under 3/4 MOA is outstanding even with handloads, but I wouldn't expect any better than that. If you happen to get a rifle and find a load that will shoot better than 1 MOA, it's a keeper for sure.

If you really want a genuine "tack driver" in that price bracket, you'd probably be better off looking at the heavier barrelled varmint/target models. These are usually going to be more accurate out of the box than a sporter weight rifle, and are usually built with accuracy as the primary concern.

You need to honestly evaluate the purpose of the rifle as well. Rifles chambered in .338 Win Mag designed for hunting big game at reasonable ranges, and the accuracy is sufficient for that purpose, with more emphasis on weight savings, reliability, etc... Consider that the kill zone on a typical (northern) whitetailed deer is roughly 8-10" (conservatively) across from broadside, and the typical range they are shot at is between 50-250 yards. That means that a rifle can shoot 4 MOA groups and still be accurate enough to hit the kill zone of a deer as long as the shooter does his part. Of course, 4 MOA is TERRIBLE for a modern bolt action rifle, and any rifle that shot that poorly should be sent back to the factory immediately with a stern letter demanding that they unf*** their POS rifle. But even if the rifle will shoot 2 MOA, it still gives the shooter 400 yards or so where he can reasonably expect to kill a deer. That being said, the .338's are usually not the first choice for most deer hunters, and are more generally used for larger game like elk, moose and bear, all of which have MUCH larger kill zones than even the biggest whitetails in the woods. A 2 MOA rifle is more than adequate for shots at 500+ yards on these larger animals.

To boil it down, anything less than 1 1/2 MOA from a big game rifle is just gravy. There's no such thing as "too accurate," but there is such a thing as an unreasonable expectation of accuracy.

Mike
Old 12-01-2004, 07:30 AM

Default RE: Weatherby Mark V sporter or Vangaurd sporter..

driftrider, thnks for the insight. My /the purpose of choice for the 338 win mag is just for bear moose and hopefully sometime real soon elk, even though my 7 mm re mmag would probably be sufficiant. My reasoning for the 338 is for something lil bigger. I've pondering the idea of either the 300 win mag or 338. I opted for the 338. I realize that its not the first choice for deer, but it will/would suitable for the rest. As for my expectations for accuracy i guess i'll or should lower my standards abit. with my 308 rem, mod 700, 3 out of 4 ican put inside a nickle at a 100yrds, free standing. its not perfection but im happier then a pig in mud . so i guess 'tac driving' is a little much. So being able to put 3 (say 3 for sake of post) within an 1" +/- of all wouldn't be bad considering by the sounds of it w/out spending an outrageous amount of money for a matched rifle, the rest will have to wrk. I dont really care for reloading myself, so factory shells are going to be it. Being realistic on my own behalf id like to keep price under a 1000$ the best i can, so there again it narrows down the searching a little not much. More then likely still gonna end up spending between 7-900$. (still doesnt make decision any easier though) srry post may seem so long.