Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

which bases/rings for sako 75

Old 11-08-2004, 06:52 PM

Default which bases/rings for sako 75

Just ordered a sako 75 in 7 mm stw. I plan on mounting a 40-44mm objective scope. Sako optilocks are expensive, heavy and receiving mixed reviews. I also hear that even there lowest mounts are too high. Any suggestions for for bases/rings set up? Any product that ought to be avoided? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: which bases/rings for sako 75

I've got Milett "Weaver style" scope mounts on my Sako. They're over complicated really. (Scope rings, clamps, bases, windage adjustable parts, and screws.) That leaves me with 4-5mm gap with a 40mm objective.

Jon Sundra did a review of the 75 a few years back and he didn't use the Sako supplied mounts. Instead he used a Leupold scope with Leupold clamp rings. Light weight and dead simple. I'd check those out.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:48 PM

Ea I gotta RUDE awakening when I returned home from a hunt in WY last month. I have a Sako TRG-S in Lazzeroni Warbird with a Swarovksi 6x24x50 PVS on it. The gun has had a KDF muzzlebrake on it since new (99). The day after I got back from WY I had my gun at work and was cleaning it and just giving it a going over after a flawless weeks work in the semi-desert area I hunted southwest of Buffalo, WY. I had the Leupold 30mm Super High rings atop Leupold bases (dovetail front, twin screw rear).

I was HORRIFIED when I felt the rear screws were both LOOSE! These were installed by the legendary gunsmith in Memphis, TN, Ed Mason (actually one of his sons probably did the work but they were raised beside Ed since they were in diapers.) They drilled and tapped a single screw thru each base and into the top of each dovetail rail on the action. The setup was properly adjusted the week before I left for my trip as well. I snugged everything up before I checked the zero two days before leaving for the hunt. And I likewise rechecked the zero on the first afternoon we got too WY, everything was fine.

Once I felt the loose screws I pulled them out and they were actually chewed up as each sharp edge thats holds onto the ring itself was cut into. Additionally the grooves in the bottom of the rear ring that is held onto by those screws were likewise chewed up and about halfway gone! Obviously this was a problem that has been growing with each pull of the trigger.

I realize this rig puts tremendous stress on scopemounts but I have never liked the antequated dovetail/twinscrew system in the first place. I replaced them immedately with Sako's OptiLok system. They are MUCH stronger and dont rely on what are basically "friction screws" to retain the rear rings. How the system held zero on the hunt is beyond me (and it worked, I took an antelope @ 367yds and a mulie buck @ 125yds). I guess the Lord had pity on me and held it on himself!!!

I am quickly replacing all my other setups on rifles with either dual dovetail setups or just tonight our order FINALLY came in from Talley. They have new CNC machined one piece alloy base/rings that should be practically BOMBPROOF!!! The less screws, joints and parts a setup has the stronger and less problematic it will be.

Spend the extra money on the OptiLoks... TRUST ME,
RA
Old 11-09-2004, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

EA... I second what RA said about optilocks..I don't know where some of these stories are coming up about optilocks but it is bordering on the ridiculous. Leupold rings are a bit lightweight and would be ok for standard calibers but they don't have a recoil pin like the optilocks have they would be a poor choice for a kicker.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is a no brainer. Optiloks all the way!!! They are a little heavier but when you study the design and the resulting inherent strength the extra money will be justified.