Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

chinese sks

Old 11-07-2004, 06:45 AM

Default chinese sks

Does anybody have tips on shooting one of these. And how is everbody elses accuracy with them.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:02 AM

Default RE: chinese sks

I have a type 56 SKS,that i have completly redone,and it shoots excellent.If you plan on doing any mods to it,be sure to shop around on the net before purchasing anything.I've seen alot of junk out there.As for ammo,mine doesn't like the wolf ammo,but groups good at 100 yards with the Remington UMC cartridges
Old 11-07-2004, 04:14 PM

I Used to have two Chinese made SKS's...both were surprisingly accurate inside of 100 Yds...the ballistics of the 7.62 round didn't fare too well beyond the 300 yd range as I recall, but it hit harder. I was able to maintain 3 to 4" groupings consistantly at 100 yds...even with a scope the groupings didn't get much better. One thing I did notice, the bullets seemed to rise as the barrel got hotter. I attribute that to the barrel contorting ever so slightly as it heated up. Good-Luck.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:23 AM

Keep the barrel cool. especially with the chrome lined bores. They can distort easily. But the guns can be accurate, it just depends on your luck finding one. My buddies gun will, belive it or not, knock over the 300 and 400 yards gongs every second or third shot, with open sights! it's really funny to see the guys with their $1000 + rifles getting agrivated that he hits em' better with his sks than they with their fancy bolt guns!
Old 11-09-2004, 04:19 PM

Have shot a friends SKS and no problem hitting the broadside of a barn from - from the inside. The accuritice mentioned in previous posts is not accurite IMO.

Best Wishes
Old 11-09-2004, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a chinese sks . I use it for woodchuck hunting with reloads. With a scope I get sub 3" groups at 200 yds. My gun shoots .308 bullets great !!!
Old 11-09-2004, 07:11 PM

ORIGINAL: CanWoodsman

Have shot a friends SKS and no problem hitting the broadside of a barn from - from the inside. The accuritice mentioned in previous posts is not accurite IMO.

Best Wishes

I take exception to this response...I would not have posted a response if it were not the truth. Simply because you can hit the broad side of a barn from the inside does not mean a harder shot with the SKS cannot be made. PS I'm not an expert marksman, but these groupings were not hard to achieve. Yes I was using a benchrest, but that is the way most rifles are sighted in. Not trying to be snotty here, but isn't it wise to not make recomendations about something you know nothing about? Good-Luck to you.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:44 AM

I'll be snotty then. As I said above, you play the game you take your chances. Some SKS's are accurate, some are not. If you look long enough, you will find an accurate one. Curt's is. And that gun is capable of long range accuracy on targets. I've known guys before who say a rifle isn't accurate, and they can't hit the inside of the barn. Then when someone else picks up the gun, it shoots just fine. Hmmm...
Old 11-10-2004, 01:14 PM

I bought a Chinese SKS back when they were about a dollar.

The accuracy is...marginal. When I shoot it, the bullet moves in a roughly horizontal direction for an unspecified distance.

But I didn't expect anything else from it, so I can't claim to be disappointed. I've heard that others are terrific, though. And maybe mine just needs to be worn in a little; I haven't shot it all that much.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:11 PM

I take exception to this response...I would not have posted a response if it were not the truth. Not trying to be snotty here, but isn't it wise to not make recomendations about something you know nothing about? Good-Luck to you.
[/quote]

trgams never once did I say you were not telling the truth. As for 3 to 4 inches at a hundred IMO that is not what I call accurite. For a military type of rifle 3 to 4 at 100 = 12 to 16 at 400 yards + wind drift. Now take away the bench and the difference between a hit and a miss definitely is there.
As for recomendations I made none, I simply stated my personal opinion. If we all had the same opinion would this not be a boring forum.

Best Wishes

Looking closer I now can see how you may have misunderstood my original post. I was never reffering to how accurite your statement was but your defination of accurite.

Quick Reply: chinese sks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.