Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Which semi 12 x 3 1/2"

Old 10-25-2004, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Which semi 12 x 3 1/2"

Starting to think I need a good semi 12 gauge. I now use a 870 SPS-T 3 1/2 but find myself doing alot of winter Jackrabbit hunting on snow where the shooting can be fast and furious as those turbobunnies blast by ya. Handled a Browning gold today and it felt pretty nicely balanced. Ok so lets start the argments here. It will be used for turkey, winter jack hunting and the occasional waterfowl like Canada geese. I want 3 1/2 and camo and prefer a shorter barrel. Who makes the better gun : Beretta, Browning or is it worth the extra cash for the Benneli? Had an 11-87 years ago and it was no hell, is the new winchester worth a look?
Old 10-25-2004, 10:14 PM

Default RE: Which semi 12 x 3 1/2"

Winchester SX2
Old 10-26-2004, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would not ever buy a 3 1/2. Too much recoil for little added benefit. Go to Ithaca Arms website, and under facts look at the article about 3 1/2 inch shells. They put out more foot pounds of torque than most elephant loads...

Just something to think about...

BUT...for those uses listed, I would personally go for the lightest gun. Swinging it onto a turk is no big deal, but if you're also going to have to swing on geese and lug it around the field for bunnies, that extra weight will add up to a tired shoulder eventually---maybe not now at your current age, but look into the future a little ways...
Old 10-26-2004, 08:50 AM
bigcountry

Not a big 3.5" guy. All of em I hold are too heavy. No need for jacks, maybe helpful for turkey, but would rather have one nice patterned in. Goose the 3.5" could be helpful. Anyway, I love my gold, but can't say the 3.5" are good or not. If you are a serious goose hunter, the benelli might be the ticket. If you are like me and go 3 times/year max, it just ain't worth it for 3.5".

Old 10-26-2004, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK there seems to be no love for the 3.5". I have in fact stopped shooting the 3.5 loads for turkey, I now use lighter HEVI SHOT loads. My thinking is that the guns are basically identical size wise, might as well not close the door on the option of using them at some point. I handled a 11-87 today and definitely have dropped that one from the list. Way too heavy! I also handled the Beretta and a Benelli M1. The Benelli fit like a glove and weighs nothing compared to the remington. This gun gets carried all day over many miles during winter jackrabbit hunts. I am leaning to that one at this point. Question: What is the differnce between the M1 and the SBE?
Old 10-26-2004, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

I like the Browning Gold 3 1/2 the best out of five that I like to recomend. Take a lok at the Beretta Xtrema, Benelli SBE, Franchi 912, and the Winchester SX2. For you intended uses I would also recommend a 3" model. In the 3" models take a look the likes of the Beretta's 390/3901/391, Benelli M1 or M2, Browning Golds, Franchi 612 or 712, Weatherby SAS, and the Winchester SX2 (3"). They offer a little less weight than their bigger brothers and will usally cycle the lighter loads better.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:51 AM

I would have to disagree with all this totally anti 3.5" sentiment that is going on here. I made the switch and found that hitting geese came much easier. There were far fewer flutter and flies than I had with the 3" and that is important. I feel that the Super X is a great gun. I researched extensively and came to that decision. It is not terribly heavy, it shoots lighter loads, and it is less expensive than all the other big name magnum autos. It is a great all purpose shotgun and can do a lot of things with the right choke and load.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

Buy the Benelli, is worth the extra money.....you won't regret you did.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:00 PM

I just purchased a Beretta Pintall ES 100 12 ga Combo last week for $549 at Gander Mtn. The sale ended Sat 10/30, but I've heard the gun has been discontinued, so you may find deal on one and save some major $$$. The only problem is it's only a 3 inch chamber, but the gun shoots real nice and has the inertia recoil. For carrying around in the field this gun wouldl be great as it's quite lite in weight. with the two barrels it makes it self quite the all around gun for some.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:32 PM

THE only two 3.5" autos in my book are the Benelli Super Black Eagle II (as good as the I was, the new recoil reduction steps of the II are worth it) and the Beretta Xtrema. I personally like the Xtrema better because it is larger than the SBEII and fits my larger hands. But both weigh practically nothing compared to fenceposts like the X2 and the Gold.

Good luck,
RA

Quick Reply: Which semi 12 x 3 1/2"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.