Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

The Harrington and Richardson Ultra Slug Hunter

Old 10-12-2004, 08:25 AM

Default The Harrington and Richardson Ultra Slug Hunter

Hey guys. I did a search for a review on this gun but didnt come up with anything. I hunt on the southern part of the eastern shore of va and rifles are not permitted there. Ive hunted with a shotgun for years throwing 2 3/4 buckshot at deer my whole life and now im looking to get a slug gun for still hunting in stands in the morning and evening during gun season. I dont want anything special and would really rather just buy an inexpensive reliable slug gun and spend more money on the scope. Well i found something that caught my eye, the H and R ultra slug hunter in 12 gauge. This place by my house has them for 170 bucks. Its a single shot break down slug gun with a bulled 24 inch fully rifled barell! It looks real sturdy (and heavy) and already comes with the dove tail mount for a scope. The price looks really great and i actually like the fact that its a single shot to make me more sure of my shots. If anyone has any experience with this gun and can recomend it or not please let me know. Thanks fellas... -Justin
Old 10-12-2004, 09:49 AM

Default RE: The Harrington and Richardson Ultra Slug Hunter

Great gun , I've had mine for over a yr now. 3' groups @100yds and 6" @150. If you dont mind toting around an 11lb gun , go for it. I dont even take my rifles to PA to hunt anymore all I need is the H&R. Took me about 5 different brands of slugs to see which worked best , Lightfield EXP's are great in this gun. Overall havent had a problem with it. Just doesnt stop em in their tracks , it knocks em over.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:51 AM

Awesome thanks for the input, sounds like exactly what im looking for, a good long lasting gun that will not only reach out and touch the deer at longer ranges but push um over too thanks a lot. -Justin
Old 10-12-2004, 12:28 PM

Im also looking for a good scope that can take the abuse of that 12 gauge recoil. The guy that i was talking to at the store was trying to sell me on a Leupold vxII but thats about 280 bucks, i dont know if it should just go with that scope or something else. what would you recomend? thanks again...
Old 10-12-2004, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll second slugman's comments. I've had mine for about 6 years I guess. It has the bull barrel (10 ga. bored out to 12 ga.) and is topped with a Leupold 1X4 Shotgun scope. It will knock em' down for sure. BTW, I use it in western NY... also a shotgun slug area only. Go for it.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

We've got two in the locker. Can't even make up a complaint. I shoot the 12 gauge deluxe (laminated camo stocks with checkering & longer forestock) which I've had about 6 years and with 3" Brenneke Gold Mags it'll reach way out there and bowl em over. I paid about $175 for it. My son shoots the standard 20 gauge with 3" Remington Copper Solids, it too is an extremely accurate slugger. Paid $192 with tax for that one 2 years ago. Both are fitted with Simmons 4X scopes. His 20 has standard recticle and I love my ProDiamond recticle. Neither of these scopes has ever given us a problem. We were just adjusting our retinas this last Saturday and were both quite pleased once again - ready for shotgun season we are indeed.

If you are looking for a review the best I can tell ya is that there was a little write up in the September issue of Field & Stream. They liked it.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 10-13-2004, 07:26 AM

thanks a lot guys im sold! i just gotta decide on a scope now.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:59 AM

took mine to the range yesterday to make sure she was still on.
Another 3" group at 100yds ...man I love this gun !
Old 10-15-2004, 04:28 PM

Three of our hunting group use them in Ohio and Michigan..One shot one kill. I think they shot a deer at 170 yrds last season. When we went to rifle area in michigan they all took their HR 12 gauge. Not only are they accurate they make us hunt like it is bow season all year which has made us more successful. I think they all have a plain shotgun scope from Gander Mountain on them. They all are shooting Lightfield XP. Great combination!!
Old 10-26-2004, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

I SHOOT THE BUSHNELL SPORTVIEW 1.5 X 4.5 WITH THE CIRCLE X CROSSHAIRS I HAVE USED THIS SCOPE FOR YEARS AND IT HAS NEVER LET ME DOWN I TOOK THE SCOPE OFF OF MY KNIGHT SO IT HAS BEEN USED AND ABUSED AND STILL IS A OK.
THE GUN IS AWSOME TO I CALL IT MY MORTOR LAUNCHER THE LITTLE THING MAKES YOU THINK YOU CAN TAKE ON IRAQ WITH IT LOL, I CANT SAY I SHOOT 3 INCH GROUPS AT 100 YARDS BUT I TELL YOU I CUT HOLES AT 50 YARDS SHOOTING 1.98$ rem. slugs from walmart

friends dont let friends buy t/c

Quick Reply: The Harrington and Richardson Ultra Slug Hunter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.