Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Thinking about a Super Black Eagle

Old 10-12-2004, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default Thinking about a Super Black Eagle

I am thinking about buying a new 12 gauge. I really like the Benelli Super Black Eagle but it is a ton on money. I am also concerned about it ejecting 2 3/4" shell. Anyone have any experience with one?
Old 10-12-2004, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Thinking about a Super Black Eagle

my wife suprised me with my sbe, man what a surprise, i love mine just for poop and giggles i've mixed up loads like crazy and have not had the first ejection problem, imo worth every penny.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:27 AM

I have been using one hard for the last five years. If I lose this one I would buy another immediately. Some of your light 7/8 oz. loads will not cycle reliably, like the Win. Super Speed. Never had a failure with 1 1/8 oz. loads of any make and most all 1 oz. I prefer a heavier shot charge anyway so this has never been an issue with me. IMO worth every penny.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never had any problems with regular hunting loads on up. I was amazed at the modest recoil from the powerhouse loads. I hope you get one that treats you as well.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: biscuit jake

I never had any problems with regular hunting loads on up. I was amazed at the modest recoil from the powerhouse loads. I hope you get one that treats you as well.
+1
Old 10-19-2004, 11:32 AM
bigcountry

Lots of shotguns do what the SBE does for half the price. But if I was a rich man, I would have one of those for duck, and another pistol grip for turkey. One day I will be a rich man.

If I was a serious, I mean serious duck or goose hunter I wouldn't mind shelling out of the cash. But I only go like 8 times a year. Upland game has no use for such an expenisve gun.

Old 11-16-2004, 12:56 PM

I sold every other shot gun I had once I got the SBE. Iuse it for everything from upland Dove and pheasant to Duck and Goose - Also shoot lots of sporting clays with it. The super light target loads wil not eject some times - stick with the "heavy dove" and up and you will love it. I got the 24" barrel and love that too.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

If you like the way the SBE feels and you have to have a Benelli that will cylce the lighter stuff. Look at the M1. It feels a lot like the SBE with a 3" chamber and a few other different parts.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:11 AM
Typical Buck

I just picked up the SBE II, and I asked those same questions before I laid the money out. What sold wm was the outstanding pointability of the SBE and SBE II. The book says that you should use at least 3 dram, or 1 1/8 load. But it will digest a multiple of light load it just depends and you will have to try different load to find out which ones it will and won't. Luckly all the light loads are 3-4 dollars buy a couple different types and spend a day with clay pigion thrower, beats being at work. The worst that will happen is you'll be shooting single shot, it's still practice with your new gun.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:41 PM

I have never heard of a SBE having problems with any ammo. Benelli does supply a warning to only shoot loads that will fully cycle the action. Benelli also suggest that if you have problems initailly to shoot 3 to 4 boxes of standard hunting loads to break the action in. I would suspect that if you have any problems it would be with the very light loads. I just bought a M2 myself and haven't experienced any problems so far. I'm not of fan of 3 1/2" loads so, I didn't feel that the additional chamber lenght was worth the extra money. Also, the M2 just shoulders better than the SBE for me.