Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Elk gun

Old 10-17-2004, 10:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Elk gun

The 270 has the same ballistics with a 150 gr bullet as the 300 does with a 180 gr bullet.
Um I am not sure how you came up with this but at 400 yards(the distance you shot) the 300 win using the same bullet but in 180gr vs .270 in 150 gr ballistics (approx.). 150 gr .277 is travelling 600 FPS slower, has 1000 less Foot lbs of energy & 6"in drop. That ain't what ya call basically the same!!
Old 10-20-2004, 03:01 AM

I am running a 7mm with 165 gr nosler parts. I have only taken one elk with it but at 250 yards breaking both shoulders and exiting i am quite confident it will do the job. Its a top notch elk cal in my books. My bro picked up a .300 that has been collecting dust at his place, I am thinking of beg, borrowing or stealing that off him for a season to see what it has to offer.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:50 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-26-2004, 09:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I follow Colorado Bob's thinking. Most people seem to agree a .270 is enough, so a good pair of binoculars would probably be more useful. But I would never turn down adding another gun to the collection. A .300 win. mag. or WSM would probably be my choice, don't think you could go wrong either way. If your going to step up, these would probably be the way to go. A 7MM has a good bit more power, but not a lot bigger bullet than the .270. A .300 has a good bit more power and bullet.

The .300 WSM's take a little weight off the gun and potentially offer a little faster follow up. Something to consider if much hiking is planned. Ballistically, it is about the same, although it uses less powder. This is supposed to lessen recoil. On the downside, ammo is a little more limited and more expensive (right now, anyway). The way I look at it, what's ten more dollars compared to what I would have to spend on the rest of the elk hunt?
Old 10-27-2004, 01:54 AM
Fork Horn

just a quick reply on the recoil asspect. my wife refuses to shoot my ruger 7mm rem mag but loves to shoot my dads 300win short mag which is shooting nearly the same weight bullet (162 gr 7mm to a 165 308). if you decide to buy a new gun go with the 30 cal.imo