Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

HELP Which Scope on Win 70 7mm08?

Old 10-08-2004, 05:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default HELP Which Scope on Win 70 7mm08?

O.K. I finally deceided and purchase my new rifle,a Winchester Model 70 Classic Featherweight in 7mm08Now any input as to which of the 2 scopes I already own I should mount,Leupold VXII 3x9 target dot 40mm,or Leupold VXII 4x12 AO 40mm.Also can I get away with low rings or do I need medium?Forget to mention will be using rifle for range shooting and deer hunting,some woods as well as some large opened fields
Old 10-08-2004, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: HELP Which Scope on Win 70 7mm08?

I personally think that the target dot would not be a good choice for deer hunting, especially if you have to hurry up a shot or if you have to shoot with lots of bush in the back ground. The dot might be hard to see with any sort of dense background. I would go with the 4-12x40mm instead, that’s if it has normal cross hairs.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

i have 3 rifles in 7mm-08 i personally prefer the leupold vx-2 3-9-40 the 7mm08 is good for about 300 yds. on deer so while hunting i leave mine on 6 power the leupolds have the clearest glass of any scope in thier class.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Can't answer which would would be better for you. For me a target dot wouldn't be my choice for a hunting scope reticle but that may not be the same for you.

As to mounts the A0 VX II will reguire med rings, the 3x9x40 VXII you can use low.

FYI, Here is a link to Leupolds Mount Selector.

[link]http://www.leupold.com/resources/MountFitChart/default.asp[/link]

the leupolds have the clearest glass of any scope in thier class.
Very subjective.....I certainly have not found the same thing as you. Yes I own leupold scopes(Good scopes) but wouldn't say they are the clearest scope in any of their classes, nor the best(especially in todays market).
Old 11-01-2004, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

I prefer the Duplex reticles. I would go with a 3 X 9 X 40 Matte VX-II especially the new ones with 1/4 minute adjustments. I bought a VX-III 50mm and found it to be little or no difference to the 40mm VXII

Cybersniper

I tell people to search ebay for a used Leupold. Yes they are expensive, but they are very much worth it. The thing with a Leupold is they all have a lifetime warranty. You buy one scope to last you the rest of your life. The resale is also good compared to almost any other brand.

If you sight in a Leupold it will stay that way until you switch to a different ammo. It's comical watching guys with bargain scope sight in every year. When eactly do these scopes lose there zero? I sight in every year but have never found my zero to be off with a Leupold scope. Again, they will cost more but you get what you pay for. You should be able to find one for around $200.00-$250.00 new. Look for a VXII, you don't need to buy the VX-III. Natchez shooting supply usually has some prett good deals. I like ebay because if there is a problem you just send to Leupold and they will fix it.

Other quality scopes are the Zeiss, Swavoski, the Bushnell elite series, and some of the Burris scopes.

I am a Law Enforcement sniper and have to rely on quality optics. Just about any large department PD sniper team, FBI, or military snipers use the Leupold scopes.

Just remember, "you get what you pay for" There are no big "rip off" manufacturers when it comes to higher end optic.