Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Howa or Tikka

Old 09-29-2004, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Howa or Tikka

Howa hands down, that tikka is nice but not really any better then a remington 710.
If that was a joke then it wasn't funny and you need to let people know you are kidding. If you are serious with that comment then I'm sorry but you have revealed yourself as knowing next to nothing about rifles. I'll let you state which of those are the case but it's definately one or the other.

The Rem 710 is a POS in my opinion. Its cheap and will usually fire when you pull the trigger and thats about all the positive things I can say for it.

The Tikka on the other hand is one of the most accurate factory rifles straight out of the box that I have ever owned. (And I've owned a lot of them) The trigger is crisp with no creep and can be adjusted down to 2 lbs in minutes. The bolt action is one of the slickest in the business. It has a cold hammer forged free floated barrel that is very accurate. I own one in 25-06 and I have found 3 different factory loads that will print sub 1 inch groups at 100 yards.

In other words go with the Tikka and don't look back.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

i have a tikka t3 lite stainless in 7mm08 and a weatherby [howa] vanguard in 308 the tikka hs a sweet trigger and a very smooth action the weatherby is a very solid built rifle with a 24" barrel it shoots good but not as good as the tikka in my personal opinion i would buy the tikka.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:52 AM

i looked at the tikka and the howa. i got the howa in 308 the fist day i shot it i shot a 2 shot group at 115 yrds and the holes where tuching. very acurate and well built rifle i am very impressed and happy with my choce.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:34 AM

What an interesting thread. I have a Howa in .30-06. It is superbly accurate. A very strong, but heavy rifle. The Butler Creek stock was a poor choice by Howa - really an ugly piece of whatever - yet it suits the purpose - hunting. You can get a Howa fairly cheap . . . look around.

However, the Tikka is a much "purtier" rifle - the action is slick as a baby's bottom. Quality is good. But, the Tikka will cost a lot more unless you are a dealer's buddy.

As a compromise, I would go to a Weatherby dealer [NOT Wally World - something "strange" about the Deluxe's wood stock - not as nice as Weatherby Sporter] ] and buy their version of the Vanguard. Workmanship is slicker than Howa [even though it is made by Howa, and the barrel length is 24". It is available in a wide-range of chamberings. Prices in Colorado [approximate]:
[ul][*] Synthetic $399[*]Sporter [with a gorgeous Monte Carlo wood stock] $499
[/ul]

Beats the price you will pay for a Tikka and is slicker than the standard Howa.

Accuracy? Forget it! Most modern rifles shoot better than you can. Howa AND Tikka are among the best! My Howa has shot 3/4" 100-yard groups. The Tikka will do the same.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:51 AM

As an addendum to the last post - a couple of comments. Wally World puts their rifles in that stupid circular gun rack and it rubs the blue off the barrel - I can always spot a Wally World rifle by the silver band around the barrel - - not exactly a Leupold gold band -

Second, I was stunned at the difference in the stock between what Wally is offering as the "Deluxe" and the "Sporter" as offered by Weatherby - should be the same, but sure doesn't look the same. The "Sporter" has the same style of walnut stock that Vanguard has used for 30 years - Monte Carlo walnut - beautiful. Wally wants $480 - Weatherby dealer her wants $499. I would pay the $19 and get the chambering I want. Wally doesn't offer but a few. Go to Weatherby and get a .338 Mag with a Monte Carlo walnut stock for $499! Or a .257 Wby Mag - now THERE is a beauty. Vanguard has new matching mounts and rings for an extra $35 - really neat.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:36 PM

I've got a Tikka T3 Lite Syn/Stainless in a .30-06 and love the gun. If you look on the internet, like auction arms, you should be able to get it for around $500. To agree with some of the others, this gun shoots extremely well, looks good, is really light, and recoil is tolerable for being just over 6lbs without a scope.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

agree with absolutely everything minnesotahunter said. got the lite stainles in 30-06 and couldnt be happier. fired hornady custom 165 gr interbonds, 3/4inch group right out of the box.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have the tikka t3 and it is awesome gun. it's a tackdriver and the bolt will open and by the force of gravity SMOOTH