Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

.22 mag or .17 HMR

Old 09-03-2004, 01:40 PM

Default .22 mag or .17 HMR

I was wondering what one would work best on squirrels, rabbits, and fox. I dont want to blow the crap out of squirrels and rabbits.....just wanting to know what one you guys liked
Old 09-03-2004, 11:19 PM

Default RE: .22 mag or .17 HMR

i'll give you the exact same answer as the other two post lol

i got the Ruger 77/22 Mag. and i love the thing, but honestly like treedog said go for the head shot with either the MAG or the .17HMR. but i know that a LR aint what you want, cuz well "MORE POWER" (hard to grunt over the internet)lol i hit a squirrel in the neck with the Winchester round when the 77/22 was right out of the box (very accutite out of the box gun), and took it's head and one shoulder off, so they aint a meat saving gun/round if you shoot for the body. i switched to CCI's TNT rounds. they're very accurite, and not as damaging. and trust me they work for rabbit to, i've gott'n a couple that kinda lost their thoughts. you just gotta see 'em before they run, or wait till they stop and then take the head shot. good luck with the desition

-Hoyt
Old 09-11-2004, 06:11 PM

I've got a Win. 9422 Mag thats plenty for coyote out to 125 yd.head shots of course.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL ill post on this again, just difrent forumn ( you aint suppose to spam post lol) For me im more than happy with the 17, for hoyt, he seems to love his 22 mag. It realy just depends on what you want. For coyotes the 22 mag would probly be better but neither are suited for it if you ask me. With either you have to shoot them in the head if you want to have anything left to eat. Otherwise you just killed and cleaned it with that one shot. The 17 does have longer range if you like to crow hunt (less ricochet also). The 17 also cost 9-10$ a box localy so that isnt nice. Im planing on getting another 17 myself. I hate carrying this bull barrel gun around in the woods.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:00 AM
DM

For coyotes the 22 mag would probly be better but neither are suited for it if you ask me. With either you have to shoot them in the head if you want to have anything left to eat.
So you Oakies eat coyotes?????? I have a buddy that doesn't live far from you, i guess i'll have to ask him what kind of desert he has with his coyote supper??? :&gt

Drilling Man

Old 09-15-2004, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

So you Oakies eat coyotes?????? I have a buddy that doesn't live far from you, i guess i'll have to ask him what kind of desert he has with his coyote supper??? :&gt

Drilling Man
ROFLMAO guess I didnt word that to well. What I meant was on the small game. Dont eat coyotes, never shot one. Dont think I would eat one either
Old 09-15-2004, 02:08 PM
Typical Buck

I'm getting a 17 hmr, and my cousin already has one . If you want to eat your squirrels use a CCI hoolow point they pass through with minimal damage. Im nopt sure about the others, because ive just shoot gophers with it.