Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

the largest caliber for predator hunting

Old 08-28-2004, 06:49 PM

Default the largest caliber for predator hunting

I have always just used a .243, but was wondering if there was a larger caliber that would take a yote, but not have alot of pelt damage to it. I want something for deer and coyotes
Old 08-28-2004, 06:55 PM

Default RE: the largest caliber for predator hunting

any of the larger rounds will kill a coyote. with a 25-06 you have to watch what you feed it or it will make a mess. just use the same bullets as you do for deer. you won't have many bang/flops however they will not go far and you won't have that bad of an exit wound. maybe the size of a quarter
Old 08-28-2004, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used my Marlin 45/70 with cast bullets last year , clean hole in and out
Old 08-28-2004, 08:26 PM
bigcountry

If you are able to load a barnes target or solid, they do very little damage to the pelt. And a 308win will work perfectly.

Old 08-29-2004, 12:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any FMJ bullet from .243 on up will do fine with decent bullet placement. Clean hole in and out. The only major thing to keep in mind is that a solid or FMJ bullet will ricochet very easily rather than blowing apart like a varmint bullet, so shots around livestock or where ricochets are a an issue are problematic with these bullets.

A .308 would be an excellent choice, as bullet selection in .308cal is very good, including FMJ and solid bullets.

Mike
Old 08-29-2004, 02:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

For predator I use everything from a 12 ga to 30-06
Old 08-29-2004, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

A .243 around here is more than adequate for a deer.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

As far as most varmit rifles go, .308 is usually the biggest they offer. Not to say that it is the largest you should use but that is usually the largest caliber offered in varmit rifles.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

For deer and 'yote the .243/6MM is about as good as it gets when it comes to dropping the deer, AND not doing too much damage to 'yote pelts!
Old 09-06-2004, 11:37 AM

If you want a cartridge with more knockdown power then your .243Win and still be able to take coyote with not too much pelt damage, get one of the 7mm cartridges. You can get fmj bullets for 7mm, which will not create a large exit wound. You can also have confidence in being able to take elk or moose with 7mm. If you do not want a magnum cartridge, go with the 7mmMauser (7x57mm), which is an excellent round, both in accuracy potential and kill power. In a 7mmMag, I like the 7mmWSM. I have compared that short mag to the 7mmRemMag and ballistically, they are very close. the short mag appears to be able to do whatever the long mag can do. With either magnum you will get the knock down power of a 30-06 in the 160gr bullet weight range AND have a rifle that will shoot flatter then a 30-06.

Quick Reply: the largest caliber for predator hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.