Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

OPINIONS ON A ROSSI PISTOL

Old 08-27-2004, 07:12 PM

Default OPINIONS ON A ROSSI PISTOL

I have an opportunity to get a used Rossi snub nosed .357- how good are they?
Old 08-28-2004, 03:16 PM

Default RE: OPINIONS ON A ROSSI PISTOL

There is nothing wrong with a Rossi IMO. Sure, they are not as nice as a S&W but I have found that for safety and reliability they are more than adequate. I consider them to be a great packing gun when you don't need to be concerned with beating it up. I have a .38 Spl that I carry pond hopping and bowfishing. If it rusts up a little, so what. For the right price it would be fine. I consider them to be less valuable than a Taurus and much less valuable than a S&W, monetarily speaking.
Old 08-28-2004, 06:37 PM

thanks for the input, Whiskey
Old 08-29-2004, 04:56 PM

Depends upon the age. Those made back in the early 80s were really questionable as to quality. The ones from the late 80s on were of better quality but be sure to bring a pencil with you to make sure the cylinder is in time (drop the eraser side down the barrel. If it clears the cylinder and makes it to the firing pin the cylinder is in time. If it stops at the forcing cone or hits the cylinder sides instead of the hole, you've got a problem).

Also, check the Blue Book for reasonable values.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:29 PM

I think you'll also extend the life of the Rossi by not expecting too much from it. If it were mine, I wouldn't shoot super-hot loads in it. Their .38's aren't rated for +P loads, and I wouldn't think the .357 magnum revolvers would be overly robust, either.

That being said, I've got a Rossi 851 stainless-steel .38, and it's a fun little gun--reliable, accurate (adjustable sights help), and it looks kinda cool with a vented-rib barrel. Mine's a keeper.