Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ideal Goose and Duck gun?

Old 06-12-2004, 06:48 PM

Default Ideal Goose and Duck gun?

I have been an upland hunter for years and am getting into duck/goose hunting. I am considering a Super Black Eagle but would love to hear from others about their thoughts.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:35 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Ideal Goose and Duck gun?

Hey, if you got the flow, the SBE would be the gun. But as a budget minded guy, I like the browning gold the best over all guns. I recommend serious goose hunters think about a 10ga. I use 3" BB, and still having trouble with them. For teal, mallards, bluebills. buffleheads, etc, 12ga 3" is good.

I love my browning, I really do. Take a look.

Old 06-13-2004, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

Odds are if you have been using a 12ga for upland birds it's fine for waterfowl, especially if it has changable chokes.
Keep your shots 40 yards and under nad you don't need 3 or 3 1/2 mags or another gun.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

Benelli all the way. Benelli has the smoothes actions I have ever seen. If I was going to spend the money on a semi-auto it would be the Benelli SBE or SBE 2. I am cheap so I bought the Benelli Nova pump 3.5" and love it.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:27 AM

I agree with bigcountry, the browning gold is a fine gun, if you are budget minded though take a serious look at the winchester sx2, it is made by browning, and is made from the same parts which are actually interchangable (although I wouldnt recomend this) I shot a friend of mines browning gold one season and went to buy one, I found the winchester and took it up to his house, the only difference between the guns is a little of the styling and the winchester does not have the gold trigger....but if you are dead set on the gold trigger, the browings is a perfect fit,,lol......and the winchester will run you about 200 cheaper.......
I have shot this gun in weather down to -20, with wind chill, and have shot all loads through it, I have never had a malfunction. Baretta and benelli are also great guns, but i cant see myself spending that much money on a gun im going to be dragging through the muck with me when i can get comparable performace from a cheaper price tag......
PS--- the chokes from the browning gold and winchester are also interchangeable,,,so in my case if I dont have the right choke with me, my hunting partner has about two of each for his browning.......
Old 06-14-2004, 05:48 AM

I am a Browning fan, love my Citori for ditch parrots, but not since the Belgian A 5 have I been too impressed with their autos. Stoeger seems to have a decent product from what I can tell from the website but have not located a dealer that has them in stock to check the fit. Any one familiar with the Stoegers?
Old 06-14-2004, 08:46 AM
bigcountry

As a person who collects Auto-5's, I think my one gold runs circles around my A-5's. I collect A-5's for fun and investment, I have my gold to bring home the ducks. And deer. Oh, and pheasents. Forgot squirrels. I love the quick one shot load feature for waterfowl.

Old 06-14-2004, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

As far as I can tell, it mostly depends on your budget. Benellis and Berettas are fine guns but when it comes to price, you can get similar performance for lower prices with Browning, Winchester or even Remington.

If money is not a problem then you have to consider the main factors of a shotgun, that is, fit, weight and handling.

Once you feel comfortable with a gun, then go for it and start hunting.

For duck and goose I prefer a 28 to 30 inch barrel with a tight choke.

Good luck!
Old 06-14-2004, 09:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Benelli guns are the sweetest i have ever seen, if i could afford one id have a SBE 2, but for now I love my nova.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:19 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I still have not found a dealer that carries Stoegers. They all say they will order one from the manufacture but that means that I am obligated to purchase it. I think I am still stuck on the SBE as the fit is fantastic. I have learned that the Berratas did not fit well. They seem to be suited for a smaller frame person.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Ideal Goose and Duck gun?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.