Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Remington 597

Old 05-22-2004, 08:28 AM
Spike

Default RE: Remington 597

How about a BLAST from the past? Anyone remember the REMINGTON
522-Viper, now that was a piece of $*!+. Seems to me when REMINGTON
designed the 597 it must of been by the same ACCOUNTANT the reason I say this is because no self respecting WEAPONS DESIGNER could make something so Ugly and so bad as the 597, again. It seems like REMINGTON puts profit before QUALITY!!!! Why not just purchase the rifle with the Bull Barrel, or trade the one you have to an upgrade to what you are looking for is this an opption? Best of luck with your 597. steve
Old 05-22-2004, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remington 597

The Smarter move would have bought a Ruger 10-22M from the get go.There are so many aftermarket accessories for the 10-22's.With some of the models Remington has came out with in recent years,it's a wonder they're still in business. For those of you who have a decent 597 I'm glad for you.Consider yourself lucky.With your luck buy a Rem 710 and you'll have a winning pair.LOL.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 05-30-2004, 01:04 AM

Default marlin 922m vs 597

I used to have a Marlin 922m but i didn't shoot it alot on account of being in Japan for 3 years. Regretfully I ended up selling it. Now I'm in the market for a new 22wmr(I love shooting ground squirrles) and I don't know if I should go with the 597 or try and get a used 922M(marlin stopped making them..WHY???) I've searched the net for info on the 922M ie: accuracy, reliability....the 100 rounds I put through mine were without a malfunction ....but I just can't seem to find anything....help
Old 05-30-2004, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: marlin 922m vs 597

I also have a 597 that is great, never had a mal-function of any kind and it will shoot one hole groups at 50yrds.
But I know I must have gotten lucky.
I would not buy another one because of all the bad things I have heard and seen.
I don't know if I will ever buy another Remington after I read some history on the company.
It seems like for the last several decades they don't know which direction to go.
You folks have listed several pieces of junk they have made, but what about their Ultra Mags.
In this area you can't give them away. Dealers don't want them in their shops.
I don't know how they stay in business with all their failures.
They bring out a product and let us test it.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:33 AM

My buddy has a 597 .22LR. He loves it! It works flawlessly for him. If I touch it, it will jam, misfire, attract misquitos, and cause world disasters. So I have come to a conclusion. Stay away from those things!
Old 06-07-2004, 03:10 PM

I am interested in purchasing a Remington 597, and I originally became interested in it because of its use of linear-slide rails for the bolt's action. From reading this forum, I am not so sure anymore. I don't think I will purchase a Marlin, because it has been my experience that they are very temperamental, one day working fine, and the next jamming every two-or-three shots. I don't know if I want to purchase a 10/22 because everyone and their dog have one, but if push came to shove. Can anyone tell me where the Remington 597's problems stem from?
Old 06-07-2004, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know if I want to purchase a 10/22 because everyone and their dog have one, but if push came to shove.
And everyone having one is a bad thing because? That means there are more aftermarket parts out there for the 10/22 than there is for any other 22. That means you can usually get those parts with little hassle and at a reasonable cost. The main reason you see so many 10/22's around is simple, they work and work well. What else could you ask for? It's a tool, not a trophy.

Can anyone tell me where the Remington 597's problems stem from?
Design flaws and piss poor quality control.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: flyfishexpert

I am interested in purchasing a Remington 597, and I originally became interested in it because of its use of linear-slide rails for the bolt's action. From reading this forum, I am not so sure anymore. I don't think I will purchase a Marlin, because it has been my experience that they are very temperamental, one day working fine, and the next jamming every two-or-three shots.
In my experience its Marlins tube fed semi autos that are jamamatics. I had a Marlin model 60 that was a tack driver but wouldnt cycle for beans. I dont believe the clip fed guns suffer this way.

I don't know if I want to purchase a 10/22 because everyone and their dog have one, but if push came to shove. Can anyone tell me where the Remington 597's problems stem from?
I cant speak for the Remington as I'v never even held one. Rugers 10/22 however is the gun that replaced my Marlin. Very reliable, not as acurate as the Marlin out of the box but if your inclined theres alot of aftermarket barrels, hammers & other action parts that can improve accuracy. I havent seen the need tho as mine is minute of squirrel head acurate out to about 40 yards. Theres also alot of aftermarket stock options for the 10/22 for either the factory barrel or a bull barrel. I guess what I'm saying is if your worried about having the same gun as everyone & their dog the Ruger may be the way to go, as I cant think of any other gun off the top of my head that can be personalised in so many ways with the parts so redily available & almost none needing the services of a smith.