Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Benelli, Franchi, Beretta, Please Help????

Old 04-27-2004, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Benelli, Franchi, Beretta, Please Help????

If you aren't set on getting an auto I love my benelli Nova, it is functional and inexpensive, i bought it for waterfowl and turkey hunting. I couldn't afford one of the expensive autos cause I am also a poor college student!!!
Old 04-27-2004, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot the Franchi 912. Wanted a Benelli, but didn't like the tag. Went with the Franchi and very glad I did. Great gun at a great price.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

All three that you listed would be a good choice. There are some very good buys in semi auto shotguns today. For the extra money for the Benelli you will get better fit and finish on the wood/blue models. They will be eaiser to maintain than most other semi auto's unless you include the recoil spring. Quality will be slightly better. You won't gain any reliabilty over the other two. With the Franchi you get quite a few features, light weight, and easy maintiance. The Beratta has the least features and is more complicated to maintain. Reliabilty is high and the price is low. I'll list some of my favorites. They are all 3" semi auto's priced the same or lower than the Benelli M1. Some have been previously mentioned and some have not.

Beretta's 391's, 390/3901, Pintail/ES100.
Benelli M1
Browning Gold's
Franchi 612
Stoeger 2000
Weatherby SAS
Winchester SX2

Look at and hold as many as you can. Even though the models I listed are all in the same class. They each have there own fit, feel, and balance. Pick the one YOU like the best.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

Woody,
I have owned a M1 field for two years and wouldn't trade it for another semi-auto. The SBE is great but your adding weight. A 3" will do you very well. I took my M1 field to South Dakota last year for pheasant and the entire group was astonished at how light it was for a semi. I actually bought the Benelli Nova (a great gun in it's own right) for "back up" if my semi would break down out in SD. Never happened. Dust, dirt, blood in the action- no problem. Never jammed yet in hunting or trap shooting situations.

I think you are doing the right thing. I would rather buy a quality shotgun that will last a lifetime and give me no frustrations. Do it right the first time.

-Mathewsconquest2
Old 05-05-2004, 02:59 PM

blood in the action
If you keep your fingers out of the way, that won't happen.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:43 PM

I have a M-1 and a Franchi Alcione, Both are great. I had a Nova, never used it only b/c I had the other two. One of the few guns that I haven't regretted trading. Not to say that I wasn't happy with it, I was. But the M-1 and the Franchi O/U are 99% of my shooting. I have and old 870 that now sits above my closed door for HD. You won't go wrong with any gun from Beretta, Benelli, of Franchi...........but if you want the SA, go with the M-1.

I have two friends that both shoot sporting clays with me and both shoot the SBE's. They will on occation not cycle the lighter rounds. I have NEVER had a FTE or FTF with the M-1. Great gun!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 05-14-2004, 06:56 PM

I am also a poor college student, and last year i bought a Browining BPS for less than $400.00. Personally I think that the browining was my best cost/quality gun in that price range. I have probably put 2000 rounds through it without any real problems. The only thing i would recomend is not to use remington shells in it, espically the cheepy "game load" shells. When they fire, the end of the shell blows out farther than most shells and they tend not to want to come out of the chamber. Other than that... it's been a great buy!
Old 05-14-2004, 10:01 PM

i used to sell guns. i demoed the beretta 390 and benelli m1, as well as several otheres. i ran 500 rounds through the guns without cleaning. the beretta never jammed, even with 3 dif shells in (2 3/4 low, high and 3). the benelli started to jam after 150 or so, and had trouble cycling 3 dif shells. but the benelli fired a little faster (not that you would ever shoot that fast hunting). i bought the beretta. i have put thousands of rounds throught the beretta and never had a problem. consider the 391 if you are already to spend the bucks, otherwise buy a used 390 or the wally world 390 and enjoy. benelli are great gubs, but i recommend the beretta every time.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:09 AM

If you have not purchased one yet check out the Stoeger it is in the same family as above mentioed guns. But cost alot less. I own 2 and the semi auto 2000 is a replica of the montrafeltra benelli. It also looks alot like a SBE and operates equally if not better. I purchased the 2000 for under $450 and now use it for waterfowling and skeet shooting. I also purchased a Condor Supreme O/U and it isa awsome Sporting clays gun all operat with no problems.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:24 PM

You need to give more information on what you will be doing with the shotgun.
If you are looking for a duck and goose gun? Go with the Franchi 912. It is more reliable with little or no cleaning. It will be cheaper than a Benelli, and you can shoot 3 1/2. But if you are going to want to shoot cheap skeet loads. Then go with the Beneli. The Franchi is perfect with 3 and 3 1/2, but won't cycle light 2 3/4.
Have you considered the Mossberg 935? It does kick a little harder. At $450 you could still buy 4 cases of duck loads and shoot until you fill your limit.

Quick Reply: Benelli, Franchi, Beretta, Please Help????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.