Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

what type of barrel would you buy???

Old 03-17-2004, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default what type of barrel would you buy???

Looking pretty hard at buying a Douglas barrel for my 338 RUM. I just put a HS Precision stock on it and all I like now is the barrel. I would like to know what you would buy. My rifle is a Rem. Mod. 700 BDL SS.

Thanks Leroy.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:09 PM

Default RE: what type of barrel would you buy???

A Douglas barrel would be nice. Dan Lilja makes some fine barrels also. I doubt you'll go wrong with either of these!
Old 03-17-2004, 09:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

It's hard to go wrong with most of the barrel makers out there today. Douglas, Shillen, Lilja, Hart all make fine barrels.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:09 AM
Typical Buck

Buy the premium barrel of the maker it costs like $40 extra. For a barrel that may have no flaws at all isn't much of a exspense for better accuracy. Their standard barrels will match any massed produced factory barrels out there. I like Douglas personally.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

Hey thanks guys.
Looks like it is going to be a Douglas after all. That should finish out my rifle.(I HOPE!!)

Thanks again.
Leroy
Old 03-18-2004, 08:27 AM

ORIGINAL: hunter338

Hey thanks guys.
Looks like it is going to be a Douglas after all. That should finish out my rifle.(I HOPE!!)

Thanks again.
Leroy
Hi hunter338,

These projects never get finished. And if by chance they do.....a new one pops up to replace it!

Sounds like it will be a nice one when finished. Best of luck with your project.

Dave
Old 03-18-2004, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

Hey I hear you.
Dont that seem like it's allways the case. This is the first rifle that I have had the chance to rebuild from a factory rifle. I hope to someday build one from scratch. But for now this is all that I can afford to do for the moment.
It is a remington mod. 700 BDL SS. With a Leupold VX-III-3.5X10X40, and a HS Precision Stock. Leupold mounts with a KDF Brake on it.

I think that if I could put the Douglas on then that would sort of top off this rifle. I have had the trigger worked on. It is set at about 2.5 pounds. Shoots a 3/4 group with the swift A-Frame loads that I worked up for it. BUT I would like to get it at around a 1/2 inch group. I am kind of perticular.

Thanks again for all of your replies.
Leroy
Old 03-18-2004, 11:32 PM

There is a guy out there somewhere named Mike Rock that is producing barrels that the tactical long range shooters are raving about, might see if you can find out about him. GA Precision uses his barrels on all there rifles and that says something.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

You might want to consider Pac-Nor also. Very good barrels from what I understand. When I finally get my .300 Wby Sako rebarreled, I'm going to send it to Pac-Nor.

http://www.pac-nor.com/
Old 03-21-2004, 05:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

My worse fear in life is running out of Projects. I quess If I do the wife will find me some. Most of her projects are not that much fun. They seem to involve that nasty word, WORK. And after all I am retired.

Quick Reply: what type of barrel would you buy???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.