Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Anyone have a .204 yet?

Old 02-27-2004, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Anyone have a .204 yet?

The .223 is based on the mostly defunct .222 Mag brass.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:18 PM

I read a magazine ad for it, that's it. I agree, sounds like a something that we don't reallyl need, but yet will have to have. IMHO we have many rounds like that. Take the .17HMR, and .500S&W for instance.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:57 PM

If you're a fox/coyote drive hunter you know that Heaven has always been somewhere between the .17rem & .220swift.

Besides being fast, flat, no recoil, accurate and explosive killer, the .17 has offers 2 advantages:

a) NOISE: when hunting on someone else's land (who also has neighbors) the .17 is much quieter than the .22 centerfires.

b) SAFETY: the .17 bullet won't ricochet like the heavier .22 centerfires cause there's usually nothing left of it on impact.

.204 is just a little beefier .17rem. I doubt the bullets will ricochet and it'll carry itself better when working with a breeze. Definately has a niche.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never witnessed a ricochet with my 22-250 when shooting polymer tipped varmint bullets. They seem to disintegrate pretty fast when striking the dirt at 3000+ fps. That's not to say that it couldn't happen, all the more reason to be assured of your target and the backdrop. But I think that as long as it hits something solid there won't be much left. I'd be the most nervous about coyote hunters that choose to use FMJ or controlled expansion type bullets on coyotes to help lessen the pelt damage. Those will ricochet. Not to condemn those that do, but just to illustrate how important safety is and how ammo selection effects that.

Mike
Old 03-03-2004, 05:46 AM
Spike

Just read an article in Shooting Magazine. Looks like the .204 will be a hot commodity on the varmiters market. At 4225fps, it is defineitely getting out there. The round is supposed to only penetrate a small way then come apart,thus leaving no exit hole......a fur harvestors dream. For a small round the ballistics were incredible. Not what I expected. Time will tell.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

For those interested,I received my daily Ruger wishlist from Gunsamerica today.Apparently the 204 Rugers have been released.One guy has a Ruger #1 in the 204 Ruger.He appears to be proud of it.995.00.Unless you have to be the first one on the block to own one,wait and you'll find them cheaper then 1 grand.

Ruger Redhawk