Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ruger Accuracy

Old 04-05-2004, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ruger Accuracy

I going to give my 2 cents worth. With any newer quality rifle such as ruger loaded with factory loads you should get acceptable groups even very accurate groups. With handloading experimentation, you should be able to tighten your groups. Some guns can shoot better than others due to the trigger and other reasons. The biggest affect on groups is the person behing the gun. I have pesonally shot rugers that would shoot under an inch with factory loads. Every gun likes certain loads or types of loads. The best thing to do is pick a gun that fits you and then go from there. I talk to people all of the time who say one gun/caliber is better than the other. Why? It is their opinion, whether that the opinion is warranted or not I don't care. Give a person who knows how to shoot any bolt action gun with a good trigger and a few different loads and I bet they can break the one inch group mark. Just my two cents because some people think that rugers arent very accurate, but I have proved to myself otherwise.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I owned a Ruger All-Weather a few years ago, but sold it after one hunting season. I didn't like the boat paddle stock and the stainless finish was too shiny for me. I really never shot it enough to determine how accurate it was.

Now with all you guys talking about how good your Rugers are, I'm getting a real itch to buy another one (not the all-weather, however). It's got features that I find very desirable, like the claw extractor, fixed ejector, integral scope mounts, 3 position safety and one piece bolt. Since I'm soured on Remington and don't want to spend the money for another Sako (at least until my daughter's out of college) the Ruger 77 sounds like the ticket for me.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:09 PM

If you want to get some information and pics of some good shooting Rugers go to
My Webpage and check out some of my Rugers. Don't get the idea that I'm exclusively a Ruger fan, as you can see from the web page I like them all, but Rugers can and do shoot very well indeed. I have a MKI 30/06 that is a super shooter, and a MKII UL 308, a MKII UL 257R, a standard MKII .243, that are all great shooters. I've had some clinkers, as in all brands, but the ones I keep are shooters big time.
Ruger did contract out their barrel production in years past. At one time they were made by Wilson. Some of the barrels were shooters big time and some were junk. I've read that Wilson makes quality barrels, but at the time, they just couldn't keep up with Ruger demand and quality suffered. I have an old model 77 30/06 that really, REALLY shoots good, so I must have been lucky. I can't remember the exact time frame when Ruger started making their own barrels, but I remember thinking some time back that the quality and consistency of their barrels had improved greatly. I think their barrels today, are as good a factory barrel as you can get, even as good as Savage, who is supposed to put a lot of effort into barrel production.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:57 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot ruger no1's, while the action is totally different I'm assuming the steel in the barrel is still the same. Of course different trigger design and pull. I believe for every rifle there is one load it will shoot the best maybe two or three in some rifles.

My No1's are all shooters, but they won't shoot all loads. With 1 in 12 inches of barrel twist they handle lighter bullets alot better than heavier bullets. Some overlook twist when buying a rifle and are disappointed on the rifles preformance for the desired load they wanted to hunt with.

My No1 300win mag holds a very tight 5/8 groups at 100yds. 1" to 1 1/2" at 200yds and 2 to 2 1/2" at 300yds. Loaded warm flying 165grs boattails at 3180 fps.

My No1 22-250 I've played with several loads. So far its shooting Wal-mart 45gr winchesters the best. Staying in the 1/2" at 100yds and within 1 1/2" at 200yds.

MY No1 270 is the same as the 300win in group sizes.

My No1 375 holds a group about 1" to 1 1/2" at 100yds.

But these rifles are funny about accepting various loads. But for the way I like to load for flat shooting and consistant accuracy they work perfect for me.

I must say I've shot remingtons, rugers, and winchester bolt action rifles that were accurate and shot nice tight groups. It's a matter of ones intended use and the load fitting the gun.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: boltman

Ruger's generally have below average accuracy. It ranges from " acceptable" to " absolutely terrible". I wouldn't buy a ruger expecting to get good accuracy. All I've ever owned have fallen into the "absolutely terrible" catagory.

This is a total crock! The Rugers are, on the average, no more nor less accurate than any other brand of production riofle in the same price range!! The ONLY rifles I have ever purchased that shot MOA right out of the box, with no fooling with at all, except to mount a scope, were Rugers. Both M77's (tang-safety type) No. 1's, and a No.3 in .30/40!
Old 04-30-2004, 01:01 PM

Amen! eldeguello, I totally agree. Well said.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:28 PM

Im a ruger guy myself everything from my super redhawk to my m77 but like all rifles the gun can only be so accurate, its the hands that are holding it that make the difference!
Old 05-23-2004, 11:44 AM

I used to have a Ruger... 77 MKII stainless... with a synthetic stock (in .243). I was never able to get good groups with it. Investigation of this pointed out two problems. The stock was rather poor quality (the forend was "warped")... and the trigger was heavy & rough. I believed, at the time, that, other than that, it was probably a good rifle. Alas, I didn't want to spend the money to sort out the problems. So, I sold the rifle to a good friend... with a full explanation of the problems. He replaced the stock... had the action bedded... and had a trigger job. Now, happily, this rifle shoots sub MOA, once he found ammo it likes (I have seen it do this). It is a different animal.
I, therefore, believe that Rugers are fine rifles....like many individual rifles (of all different brands).... this particular one just needed some sorting out. Unfortunately, every rifle is different -
there is the odd "lemon". In my experience, though, most rifles can be made to shoot well - if one takes the time (and effort) to make it so.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:55 PM

I've been following this thread since I started it way back when, and I think I'm gonna have to give the Ruger a try. It has to be a much better rifle than my Rem. 710. It shoots great, but God help me if I need to make a quick follow up shot as the bolt will probably come out in my hand. [:@] I'm hoping that I draw my elk tag for CO this year. If I do, I need to get my happy butt to the gun shop and get my new rifle so I can get trigger time with it before I head to CO. Thnaks for all of the input!