Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ruger Accuracy

Old 03-27-2004, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ruger Accuracy

I took my Ruger out to the range today and I think that I've found a load that it really likes. The last time out I had worked up the load and found that the best lead seemed to be 35.7gr of Varget behind a 50gr Nosler Ballistic Tip BT.

So to comfirm I loaded up 100 rounds to play with and so I could get a decent amount of data regarding the load. Needless to say, I'm VERY impressed with the results. I did go ahead and glass bed the reciever with Acra-Glas, and I adjusted the trigger to minimum pull weight and creep. The trigger still has a bit of creep left because any further reduction causes inadequate sear engagement. I'd say that the pull weight is about 2 lbs.

I shot these groups with the following load:

35.7gr Varget (each charge weighed)
50gr Nosler Ballistic Tip BT
W-W brass (trimmed to uniform length, fireformed to chamber, flashholes deburred and primer pockets recut to uniform depth).
CCI BR-2 Benchrest LR primers.

Mean velocity: 3711fps measured 13ft from muzzle.

I fired 13 five shot groups, with the remaining 35 rounds used to plink clay pigeons off the berm at 225 yards!

All groups were fired at a known distance of 200 yards.

I'm not going to post all of the data from each target, unless someone asks, nor will I post the pictures unless asked in the interest of bandwith for those of us stuck with dial-up. I measured both the whole 5-shot group, and the smallest 3-shot group within each 5-shot group which is denoted by enclosing the measurement in parentheses.

Smallest Group: 0.689"/0.345 MoA ; (0.210"/0.105 MoA) !!
Largest group: 1.829"/0.915 MoA ; (1.186"/0.593 MoA)
Mean group size: 1.259"/0.630 MoA ; (0.559"/0.280 MoA)
Standard Deviation: 0.348"/0.174 MoA ; (0.272"/0.136 MoA)
Extreme Spread: 1.140"/0.570 MoA ; (0.976"/0.488 MoA)

I did find out that my rifle doesn't take kindly to cleaning...The largest two 5-shot groups were fired right after I'd cleaned the bore, and it was pretty erratic. After about 10 more shots it settled back down and returned to shooting very well. But even so the largest group never exceeded 1 MOA, so I'm still very pleased.

Yeah, Ruger accuracy sucks, my butt!

Mike
Old 03-27-2004, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: iloveto4x4innc

Since Ruger doesn't have an accuracy guantee, I was a little nervous about getting one.

I can speak from first hand experience.If it's not right, Ruger will make it right.Ruger has one of the finest customer services in the business. I had a ten year old Redhawk just about completely rebuilt or I should say rebuilt free of charge.Ruger does stand behind their products.I had many dealings with Ruger and always got excellent service.If the question of Ruger's warranty concerns you it shouldn't .I've never paid for a repair except for the shipping one way to the factory.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 03-28-2004, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

With alittle trigger work it is as good asit gets in the price range you are looking at .I have a m77MKIIVT in a .220 swift and can on the right day get 1" moa at 400 yards nor to bad for a $35.00 trigger job.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:01 AM

I own several ruger rifles and I have never had a problem with the accuracy of any of them with the right hand load, but I do have a problem with customer service. I sent my 300wm back 3 months ago and all do is give me the run around about fixing it
Old 04-01-2004, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

dhuff welcome to the forum, Check your email. I sent you a message that will most likely get your Ruger CS problem straightened out.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 04-01-2004, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

dhuff, Check your email address out on this site, apparently you typed it out wrong. My email to you was returned undeliverable.If you want email me and I'll give you a name or two to call at Ruger. Put Ruger in the subject box or it might get the Big X.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 04-02-2004, 06:51 AM

I apolagize but I switched internet service and my email is not working. I do thank you anyway
Old 04-02-2004, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

Most problems why people think a particular gun shoots horrible is the guns make up itself. Totoe is right you can practically get any rifle to shoot decent if not really well by finding out the load the rifle shoots the best. Some people buy rifles without even bothering to checkout what the barrel's twist is and then try to introduce an old pet load into the barrel and have flung all over. Others buy a rifle and expect it to shoot like a custom bench gun not gonna happen most of the time without spending some serious cash. But in my opinion why buy a rifle you have to bed, do a trigger job, and stock work. Why not pick your action and have one built for you.

I know for a fact you can buy two exact guns model make and caliber. They both can come from the same lot and shoot the same load, and one will preform okay and the other horrible. This happens alot in pistols for sure. It completely baffles me but it happens.

I shoot Ruger #1's and for the most part they are tremendous guns for the money. I have one stainless #1b in 300 win that is just a hunting rifle but has bench quality accuracy.
The one I've had problems with was my 22-250 I tried everything under the sun to make it shoot well. Finally one day in Wal-mart I was back in the sporting goods section and they had those Winchester 45gr 22-250 piled up on the counter. Only $16 for fourty rounds I thought what the heck I'll try them. Holy cow cheap ammo and I'm shooting holes in holes at a 100yds. My reloading ego took it right on the chin that day.

Yeah I would say some rifles are made at beer thirty and some will be ones you never let go of. But in my opinion a guarantee's doesn't make it a better rifle if it shoots a 1 1/2 group. I strive for way better groups and if the rifle never shoots well get rid of it.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Ruger #1 in 7x57 Mauser and a M77 MK II stainless in 300 WSM and both of them shoot under 1" at 100 yards. My brother has a Ruger .22 Hornet that shoots under .5" at 100 yards and a friend of mine has a M77 MK II in .260 rem. and you can cover his 3 shot group with a nickel. Ruger is by far the best gun for the money, and their customer service is excellent. The foregrip on my #1 cracked and about 4 years later when I got around to sending it back to them they matched and fitted a new one and put a new set of sights on (I had taken the old ones off for a scope) and they replaced the falling block. I only had to pay for shipping to send it to them, they took care of the rest with out any problems. I highly recommend Ruger. I have 5 Ruger firearms and I am very happy with all of them.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Man, I just came from a gun show today and was checking out a neat little Ruger Comapct in 7mm-08. Almost bought it too, except the bolt handle is on the wrong side. I got a Browning Micro Hunter in 7-08 last year and I really like it. IMO both the Ruger and the Browning quality level is above the Remington's. I feel like Rem. quality went south along with its manufacturing facility. Do you guys agree? I love my old 700s but the new stuff, well, it seems like something is missing.

Quick Reply: Ruger Accuracy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.