Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

1911 clones

Old 02-03-2004, 10:44 AM

Default RE: 1911 clones

There's alot of great 1911 clones out there, but I really like the Kimber for the money. Enough that I bought three of them. Pro Elite, Ultra CDP, and Eclipse II. The Pro Elite is my primary carry gun. The Ultra CDP is carried very little because I'm not as accurate with it. The gun is great, but it's very short sight plane gives me some problems off-hand. The Eclipse has yet to be fired. It's just too darn pretty. May keep that virgin and give it to my grandson some day, in 20 years or so. I really like their "custom shop" models, as you can see. The meltdown treatment is the best thing I've seen since chocolate milk.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:08 PM
Typical Buck

Wimp, I don't know about the prices in Pa, but here in Ky, you can pick up certain used models of Kimbers(not stainless) for $600 or less. I've seen the Ultra Carry, Pro Carry and the Custom full-size from $475-550. Any used stainless Kimber will run you $650 and up.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:25 PM

I've had great luck with a para ordinace p-12--never had a problem with it Having said that, I do have the itch for a kimber, but not enough to trade the para ordinance.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Springfield milspec 1911A1- a hell of alot of gun for only $400.
Springfield loaded model for $600. _better gun than the more expensive Kimbers, fewer MIM parts, no lawyer triggers.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:33 PM

Springfield loaded model for $600. _better gun than the more expensive Kimbers, fewer MIM parts, no lawyer triggers.
Better? Springfield makes some nice guns, but I doubt they're better. They may have fewer MIM parts, but of the two Kimbers I've shot most, I've never had a problem. And Lawyer Trigger? Not on the 3 I own. They are very light, no creep, and no overtravel. One of the reasons I went to Kimber and the 1911 style handgun.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:14 AM

Hi ugly dog,

Decide what your budget will allow......handle as many models as you can afford....do the paperwork on the one that "feels best"....and take it home! I have owned 1911 style pistols for over 30 years. From Colts, Norincos, Thompson Arms, Para-Ordinace, Springfields, and even a few "parts bin" combos. They all worked well, instilled confidence, and the only one I didn't care for was the Thompson Arms. (Can't quite put my finger on why that one didn't suit me....but it didn't!) All the rest of them went bang every time I pulled the trigger! (And that can't be overrated!) Great gun design.....great caliber! Once you've shot a 1911....you'll never go without one for long.

BTW....my current 1911......a Para-Ordinance P-12! (It feels a little different than the original single stacks. Only you can decide if you prefer it....or not. I like the single stack magazine grips for fit....and they fit many women's and smaller hands as well as any man's. But for compact firepower in a 1911 package.....it's hard to beat Para-Ordinace's high capacity models, either the P-10 or the P-12! (For most people they either love 'em.....or hate 'em!) You decide!
Old 02-05-2004, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

i would buy what you can afford, then replace parts as you go. wilson, mccormack, and others make top quality parts that will interchange with the clones. i got a HELLL of a deal on a colt, and that is what i plan to do with it, not that there is anything wrong with it as is
Old 02-05-2004, 04:34 PM
Typical Buck

Briman, I'm not one to step on anyone's toes, but I'm with Danny45 on this one. I own 2 Kimbers and have shot several others and have never pulled a "lawyer" trigger on any of them. Like I said earlier, Springfield does make a great pistol, but IMHO, they're not a Kimber.
Old 02-07-2004, 02:01 PM

There is only one name to know in production 1911 pistols and that is Kimber. I have owned a Colt, shot several more Colts and Springfield, but my favorite is the Kimber. I have a Stainless Target. I know there are more expensive 1911 guns out there and they are probably better, but for the money you cannot go wrong with a Kimber. I have since sold the Colt because it could not compare to the Kimber and I simply did not shoot it for that reason. If you want information on 1911's from people who own them, go to www.1911forum.com the people are so knowledgeable it is scary. Whatever brand you get, you will love the 1911 and the .45ACP, so get one and shoot it as often as you can.

Mark
Old 02-16-2004, 03:40 PM
Typical Buck

Let's not forget: Rock River Arms, Essex Arms, STI, Caspian and others.
While Kimber makes a great 1911, the new Auto-ord, made by Kahr is actually a really nice gun too, for the money.
The accuracy can be attributed to several things but understand that only a handful of manufactures actually CNC their own frames. Some of the rest of accuracy comes from the fit of the parts and of course the quality of the materials.

Quick Reply: 1911 clones

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.