Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Another 870 Thread (Wingmaster vs. Express)

Old 01-23-2004, 04:07 AM

Default Another 870 Thread (Wingmaster vs. Express)

I'll let everyone know what my opinion is once my new Wingmaster gets here. But for the mean time, has anyone else got a review (opinion) to share on the differances between these 2. I know on my express, the trigger assembly is partly made of a composite type of hard plastic, as compared to the wingmaster being all metal. The wingmaster I'm getting is 20ga. I intend to use it for birds and rabbits. The express is my 12ga. turkey gun. It tends to not like the low brass bird shot. So let's here em.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:51 AM

Default RE: Another 870 Thread (Wingmaster vs. Express)

it is a quality and cosmetic thing.the wingmaster is the traditional blued steel and rich walnut stock[i got mine for christmas when i was 13] in a 16ga 28" modified choke.the express super mag i have to turkey hunt with has a black plastic stock and forearm and matte finish barrel and receiver.i am in and out of boats, atvs,stands etc. so it makes no sense for me to have a "pretty"gun since i will either camo tape or spray anything i hunt with.while i only shoot 3 3.5x4 hevishot shells through it each spring,i can only say i have had no problems with the shells.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:15 AM

i love my wingmaster, i also got it for xmass when i was abt the same age. i imagine there are a lot of people who got the same.

i think you're better off with a wingmaster beautiful gun, better workmanship and will retain its value versus the express.

i've got a 20 gauge and its a great bird gun and supprisingly accurate for deer season (for a gun with a smooth bore and fixed modified choke)
Old 01-23-2004, 12:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have a classic Wingmaster 12 gauge that I wouldn't trade for any Express. Both models are great shotguns, but I feel that the craftsmanship of the Wingmaster is superior. You know the old saying, "They don't make 'em like they used to."

Having said that, I still plan on buying two 870 Expresses in the near future(magnum turkey gun for me, and a 20 gauge deer/turkey combo for my wife). They can't beat the quality of the older Remingtons, but they're solid enough to survive many seasons in the woods.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have the wingmaster regular now. I used to have the mag. when i lived in montana. It was a nice gun but had to get rid of it because i was hurting for money so i pawned it. I would be little iffy on the express but maybe somewhere down the line later i'll get one. But for right now, i am happy with the current wingmaster [:-]
Old 01-23-2004, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own a few wingmasters but have never considered the express model . Maybe its the same gun in the way its made but it looked kind of rough and felt the same way .