Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

T/C pistols question?

Old 12-23-2003, 04:42 PM

Default T/C pistols question?

I frequent a gun shop that has a few used contender pistols. Are the standard pistols ok or should a guy buy a new encore or g2 pistol? The g2 and regular contender are supposed to use the same barrels. Other than that I don't know much about them. I know somebody on here has used them for hunting or target shooting. I would do both. Tell me what you like or dislike about them.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:12 PM

Default RE: T/C pistols question?

In a nut shell,
Depends on what you want to use it for, they both have there pros and cons.
Original Contenders were made for low pressure cartridges where as the Encore will handle high Pressure rounds. Contenders have adjustable triggers are lighter wieght and have been used to shoot everything on the planet I believe. However, when you pull the hammer back on a contender and then decide not to shoot you have to let the hammer down then open the frame back up to reset the trigger, you dont have to with the encore.
I like the original Contenders, they are sleek and accurate and since most of my shooting is in to paper I dont require a real big cartridge to do the job, my favorite rounds are based on the 30-30 and 22 hornet case.
Whether you go Encore or The new G-2 a fellow couldn't go wrong picking up an original frame or two if they are reasonably priced and in good shape as the price on these will only go up as the supply runs out.
Be careful tho as these guns are highly addictive and the number of barrels one can justify for these is amazing.
Old 12-25-2003, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

Along with the above post, here are a few other things to consider. The Encore is centerfire only, where as the Contender and the G2 are capable of shooting both centerfire and rinfire cartridges. Contender barrels can be as short as 8 inches for easier packing. With the heavier frame of the Encore and barrels of either 12 or 15 inches, it can be a little bulky. You'll not go wrong with any of these choices.It really comes down to which frame and caliber selection "fits" you the best. And like kts said, be careful. They can be very addictive!! Good luck!
Old 12-26-2003, 07:31 AM

You can now get a custom Encore bbl that will shoot rimfire with out the need for the adapter. Check them out here

http://www.mbmco.net/Merchant2/merch...ategory_Code=K
Old 12-26-2003, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the info kts. I've considered the "adapter", but its not in my budget for a "custom" barrel.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:27 PM

Thanks for the info. I traded for one with the wood stocks and a 357 barrel to get started.Most of the barrels they have are 10'' I believe. There is a 30 herrett barrel there that would be a good one but I don't know if I could ever find ammo for it. Also a 44 mag barrel and a 222 rem that would be interesting because I have a 222 in a rifle already.There are some 22lr and 22mag barrels but with open sights and I didn't know if you could put the weaver mount base for contender on those.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:10 PM

You can take those sites off and mount a weaver scope base or any other base for the contender, I like B-square personally.
How much they want for the 30 herrett? you will probably never find ammo for it as it is strictly a wildcat but if it is an older 10" bbl I know myself and several other guys who would be VERY intrested in it.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:52 PM

Picked up the gun today and noticed a 357 herrett barrel also. I think that is the only other oddball except for a 22 rem jet. I believe they want 175.00 for most of the barrels.A few are the octagon but don't remember which ones.Are those prices about right? I didn't see much to compare at our last gun show.Also how do they remove the front sight on these pistols or are the silver soldered? The 222 barrel has a scope mount but the front sight is still on that one.I didn't see any screws but some barrels had screw holes where the front sight could have been.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:24 AM
Typical Buck

Like kts said, the Herrett is a wildcat caliber and there is no factory loads for it. As for the 22 Jet, you can find factory ammo for it, but it'll run you 40-50 bucks a box. As for the front sight question, if the barrel had sights that screwed in, I removed the sight. If there were no screws, I just left the front sight in place. I don't know if they are "soldered" in or "pressed" in. kts may be able to answer that for you. As for the $175 tag on barrels, that's kind of steep for around here. As long as its not an unusual caliber or a "collectable" barrel, 125 is about the going rate. If you're interested, I can give you a dealer that deals in used Contender barrels and has some very reasonable prices. I'm kind of new around here and am not sure if its ok to post a website or not. If so, let me know and I'll post the link.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:08 AM

I believe some of the 1st bbls were soldered on, I'm no expert but I have not seen any sites with 'hidden' screws. I know that the 1st bbls were all 10 inchers.
I had an octagon 22 Jet for awhile and it was a good shooter, brass is available and it is easy to load for. $175 is pretty spendy, for a good comparison of prices try eds t/cs, I have bought a few bbls from him and he is a top notch guy.
Have Fun!

Quick Reply: T/C pistols question?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.