Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Taurus Tracker M44

Old 02-22-2013, 04:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Taurus Tracker M44

Does anyone have any reviews to share about the Taurus Tracker M44. I was comparing one today to the Raging Bull 44. The Tracker is a 5 shot vs the 6 shot bull. But the Tracker is lighter - much lighter. I believe it would be a nice carry revolver for hiking should you come across an onery black bear.
Please I don't need comments about Taurus being junk. I own 3 others and each one is a highly functional and reliable firearm with excellent quality. Those of you that own them know what I mean.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Save your money and buy a S&W 329PD Airlight, it is lighter, more accurate and holds 6 rounds. My boss bought the Tracker I bought the Smith, he now regrets his purchase. There is no comparison in the two.

Here is mine.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

But I already have a S&W 29. An old one with 8 3/8" bbl and recessed cylinder and presentation case. I got that revolver new when I was 16 - about 45 years ago. And it still looks like new.
But thanks, I might just look into the arilite.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

All steel Taurus revolvers are as reliable and accurate as you can ask for. No, that's not true for the rest of their fleet, but the big steel wheel guns do what they're supposed to.

I have a bull, bought and sold a tracker 44, probably shouldn't have done so, but I made money on the deal. You are right, considerably lighter, which has its ups and downs. As a hunting wheelgun, it's great. Light for carry, but heavy enough to soak up the recoil of hunting loads for a few shots in the field. I'm certain that if I found myself in a situation where 5 rounds of .44mag wasn't enough, then 6 wouldn't be either. Neither are my first choice as a big bear defense gun, but 5 vs 6 is just trivial, and when you're talking bruins instead of browns, the tracker is plenty of medicine. I liked the balance of the tracker better, maybe only because I'm so used to my tracker 17?
Old 02-28-2013, 03:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

There is no way I would consider this as a big bear stopper. I have 9mm, 40 S&Ws, 357 and .44 mags. But my .44 is a S&W 29 with an 8 3/8" bbl which is just too much to carry all day hiking or during archery season. But the Tracker (which I did end up getting) is nice and light and short enough for easy carry in a belt holster. And it would be perfectly legal for turkey or yotes that may be just out of my bow range.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Finally after almost 2 months I got out to shoot my Tracker M44. Very pleasant and accurate with what I refer to as Cowboy loads (.44 mag cases loaded with 200 gr lead at .44 SPL velocities) and exceptionally accurate with full house .44 mag loads with 240 gr. XTPs. In this light revolver though the full house loads do get your attention. And the trigger guard has a tendency to come back and "kiss" your middle finger. For what I want this revolver for the lighter loads will be more than sufficient.