Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Springfield Armory XD-9

Old 09-14-2003, 08:08 PM

Default Springfield Armory XD-9

I was wanting a new pistol for CCW and also for the wife to shoot. 9mm was going to be the caliber now I needed to find the gun. After going to the Roanoke Valley gun show, my wife made the decision for me. She really liked the Springfield Armory XD-9. After handeling it I had to agree that it felt nice. It wasn' t the Glock 19 that I had hopped she would pick, but we were both happy.

I got to the indoor range several days later. I only had two types of ammo, Winchester white box 115 grain and Winchester Value pack 115 grain. I am hoping to get back soon with some defensive ammo to test.

It is very accurate. I did most of my shooting from the 10, 15 and 20 yard line but did mess around with the 25 yard line a little. I had a 40 shot group the size of my fist from the 10 & 15 yard line with only one flyer, which was my fault all the way.

Only one malfunction out of the 220 rounds fired and that was due to an aftermarket magazine. With the Springfield 10 round mags there was no malfunctions. The aftermarket magazine was a Pro-Load Beretta 92 17 round mag. It will be a range only mag, never really cared for Beretta or Pro-Load mags anyway but it was a good price for a " high-capacity" magazine. (beretta 92 magazines will work in the XD, you have to be careful though, they are a tad longer and can put pressure on the extractor)

I love the trigger on this gun. Has a little slack and then a nice clean break. Proably around a 5 pound trigger. (just guessing, need to invest in a trigger scale) Anyone in the area wanting to shoot an XD can stop by the range (PSS), they have a XD-40 there that you can rent.

Overall I' m very happy with the new pistol. I wish it had the same finish as Glock but will proably have Robar put NP3 on it at some time. I have been wanting an excuse to get an NP3 gun anway.

Old 09-15-2003, 07:45 AM

Default RE: Springfield Armory XD-9

I am looking at the same gun but in the ported version. I am glad to hear you experienced no mechanical problems with it.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

As soon as they make it in .45ACP, I' m having one!
Old 09-26-2003, 04:53 PM

I hear ya' !! I' m hoping for a .45acp and a 10mm. Word is that the .45acp should be out by the next Shot Show, keep your fingers crossed
Old 10-01-2003, 06:32 PM

Went back to the range yesterday. Took along a couple boxes of Federal 135grain Hydra-Shok and CorBon 125grain +P JHP' s along with some Winchester White box and Blazer fmj. All four types of ammo ran right through the gun with no malfunctions. Out of the defensive ammo the gun liked the CorBon the best. Was happy to see that it fed the hollow points with no problems. The Corbons were actually very accurate out of the gun.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:00 PM

I purchased an XD40 two months ago and have been 100 per cent satisfied. It' s very accurate and the trigger is the best around. I' ve put 800 rounds through it after 3 trips to the range and have zero problems. I can' t wait for the XD45 to come out. It' ll probably be just as had to find as the XD40 was earlier this year. I highly recommend this handgun in any caliber!!