Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Very interesting

Old 12-17-2011, 04:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Very interesting

While up the camp this year as it always does the subject of firearms is discussed. Two of our members are certified NRA instructors and armorers for Colt and S&W. They handle literally hundreds of handguns a year during the course of qualifying law enforcement, security and civilian personnel. But what really took me by surprise is the statement by both of them that the new production Kimbers are basically junk. Eight of the last 10 brought to class by shooters either continually failed or out and out broke. One gentleman brought in two Kimbers NIB and right out of the box the first one failed after 2 rounds and the other before the magazine was emptied. I never got into specifics as to what caused the failure(s) because I was so shocked. Both said they would never want to depend on a Kimber for self defense. They much prefer Les Baer's 1911 over the Kimbers.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:12 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
They much prefer Les Baer's 1911 over the Kimbers.
I don't know of anyone who would NOT take a Les Baer over a Kimber. IMO, Les Baer is in a totally different class than the Kimber, and there can be a significant price difference. Some shooters like Kimber and some do not. Personally, I would take a Les Baer, Colt, Ruger, Springfield or STI 1911 over a Kimber, but that is just my preference. However, I think I would take a Kimber over a Para Ordinance.

You mentioned NIB. Where they cleaned/lubed, shot, then cleaned/lubed properly again and properly reassembled before the class? Many 1911's will have a break in period of 200 to 500 rounds. However, some claim the QC at Kimber can be spotty.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Country, I can't say. I am just relaying what was discussed. I know some of the bushing on the Kimbers are very tight and need to be broken in. My friend had one and we had a heck of a time disassemblying it for cleaning.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

"I don't know of anyone who would NOT take a Les Baer over a Kimber."

+1

As far as Kimber is concerned, you know the ole' saying; "where there is smoke there is fire" !

People been talkin about their QC for years.....................??
Old 12-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well Sheridan this conversation really took me by surprise. I guess its because I never owned a Kimber. But the way some of the guys in here rave about them I would never have suspected it. I guess they rave about them because of how much they paid for them!
Old 12-19-2011, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

"I guess they rave about them because of how much they paid for them!"

+ 1 see link;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-pu...ationalization

We're all guilty of it !!!
Old 01-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bronko22000
While up the camp this year as it always does the subject of firearms is discussed. Two of our members are certified NRA instructors and armorers for Colt and S&W. They handle literally hundreds of handguns a year during the course of qualifying law enforcement, security and civilian personnel. But what really took me by surprise is the statement by both of them that the new production Kimbers are basically junk. Eight of the last 10 brought to class by shooters either continually failed or out and out broke. One gentleman brought in two Kimbers NIB and right out of the box the first one failed after 2 rounds and the other before the magazine was emptied. I never got into specifics as to what caused the failure(s) because I was so shocked. Both said they would never want to depend on a Kimber for self defense. They much prefer Les Baer's 1911 over the Kimbers.
Yep, those pesky Kimbers. I'll do them a favor and take them off their hands for 50 cents on the dollar!
Old 01-15-2012, 04:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Orange - It seems its just the newer ones. The older Kimbers were fantastic.