Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Savage Model ??? or Marlin XS7/XL7?

Old 12-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Typical Buck

Default Savage Model ??? or Marlin XS7/XL7?

Looking to get another "work horse" bolt gun. I know the Savages are accurate, deffinately do NOT like the Edge though. I haven't kept up with them lately, so don't know the savage model numbers that well. I know 110, 111 and the Duke's mixture they come in. I know there are several pro's....but what about the cons about some of the savage models and the Marlin XL7 or XS7

I hear the Savages are one of the best deals going for an out of the box rifle, but I don't know which models.

Looking for something in the $350 for just the gun, and know that some of the savages and the marlin run just that, or less.

Gotta have enough money to put some decent glass on it.

I have heard lots of good things about the savages and lots of good things about the Marlins and the price range seems about right with 4 kids and all lol
Old 12-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO the 110 or 10 are the two best deals right now. They are the same gun only the Model 10 is the short action one and the Model 110 is the long action. So depending on which caliber you get, it may be a 10 or 110. These can be had at Walmart with the famous accu trigger for right under $400 with a cheap Simmons scope and sling. I'd sell the scope, and put a nice quality one on it. IMO this is the best deal going for any hunting rifle right now.

The Model 11, 12, 16, etc are all great rifles too, but usually cost a little more. The 2 digit models are the short actions and the three digit ones for example 116 are the long action ones.

The Marlin is a little cheaper, but they don't fit me quite as well, and from what I've read if you ever want to change the barrels the Savage is the way to go. Both seem to be really good rifles though.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
IMO the 110 or 10 are the two best deals right now. They are the same gun only the Model 10 is the short action one and the Model 110 is the long action. So depending on which caliber you get, it may be a 10 or 110. These can be had at Walmart with the famous accu trigger for right under $400 with a cheap Simmons scope and sling. I'd sell the scope, and put a nice quality one on it. IMO this is the best deal going for any hunting rifle right now.

The Model 11, 12, 16, etc are all great rifles too, but usually cost a little more. The 2 digit models are the short actions and the three digit ones for example 116 are the long action ones.

The Marlin is a little cheaper, but they don't fit me quite as well, and from what I've read if you ever want to change the barrels the Savage is the way to go. Both seem to be really good rifles though.
Thanks, that explains the model numbers better for me!
Yeah I looked at the local Walmart today and all they have are the packages. I have 0 interest in the scopes that come on them. Might have a 22 laying around that could use it lol. My scope budget is around $500 or so. I can't out perform most rifles abilities anyway, so no need in tieing up that much into the rifle alone......now glass, Id spend $2000 on glass if I could afford to.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default Marlin XL7C

Recently purchased a Marlin XL7C (C is for camo stock) in 25-06. $379.63 out the door. Comes with a Weaver style 1-piece scope base mounted to the rifle. The reason I went with the Marlin was that the stock seemed much better on the Marlin than on the Savage package rifle for the same money. Haven't fired the rifle as of yet. This is a knock around rifle for me when traveling some rough places hog hunting with the aid on an atv. Just can't take scratching my wood stocked rifles. Also, I saw 2 different gentleman each with the 25-06's in the Marlin XL7. Both rifles printed good 100 yard groups at the range with ammo they liked. Which happened to be Winchester 120 gr. PEP ammo. The Savages are good rifles. If you decide to go with either I would have your retailer let you handle each rifle & choose the one that fits you the best. Also, when handling the rifles check how the barrel lays in the stock. Many of the Savages on the rack had the barrel crowded hard to one side & the barrels made contact with the stock instead of free floating as they are supposed to be. The Marlin was centered very well only making contact on the pads in the stock that are made to supply pressure on the barrel at the forend.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am sure either one will be just fine for you, but personally I would go with the Savage.
I'm not saying the Marlin is bad, but I just dont see spending practically the same amount of money for the Marlin when its basically just a knock off Savage.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Spike

I bought my XL& 270 for $281.50 with tax December 2009
I know the prices have gone up But my marlin has a better trigger than the Savage it is just as accurate as my 5 Savages. Also the Savage barrels will interchange with it. Both are a good buy but the marlin is a little cheaper right now. I will never say anything bad for either of them. Also both of them are better than the Remington 770 cheap rifle.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by okie2
I bought my XL& 270 for $281.50 with tax December 2009
I know the prices have gone up But my marlin has a better trigger than the Savage it is just as accurate as my 5 Savages. Also the Savage barrels will interchange with it. Both are a good buy but the marlin is a little cheaper right now. I will never say anything bad for either of them. Also both of them are better than the Remington 770 cheap rifle.
Not to be contrary, but I do fail to see how the Marlin has a better trigger than the Savage, since the Marlin is basically a copied version of it.....unless you were looking at a non accu trigger model?

Again, pick whichever you like best as I am sure either will work just fine.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by TreednNC
Looking to get another "work horse" bolt gun. I know the Savages are accurate, deffinately do NOT like the Edge though. I haven't kept up with them lately, so don't know the savage model numbers that well. I know 110, 111 and the Duke's mixture they come in. I know there are several pro's....but what about the cons about some of the savage models and the Marlin XL7 or XS7

I hear the Savages are one of the best deals going for an out of the box rifle, but I don't know which models.

Looking for something in the $350 for just the gun, and know that some of the savages and the marlin run just that, or less.

Gotta have enough money to put some decent glass on it.

I have heard lots of good things about the savages and lots of good things about the Marlins and the price range seems about right with 4 kids and all lol
My vote is the Marlin. Just bought one this fall, love mine.

Nothing bad about the Savage's just found the Marlin and it fit me well. I didn't like the feel of the Savage Edge at all. Stock and me didn't hit it off. post I made earlier about mine.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/fire...rt-photos.html
Old 12-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

The marlins sound nice. Reallllly looking hard at a weather warrior from savage though!
Old 12-07-2010, 05:32 AM
Typical Buck

On second thought, those Marlins seem like the best of both worlds. Seems like Remington x Savage = marlin.