Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Marlin XS7S or the TC Venture?

Old 12-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

They talk about that in the first thread there. Wouldn't cutting the barrel be the wrong thing to do? I've read what they say, but even before I did I had the same thoughts. It seems like if you cut the barrel off, you'd need to re chamber it as the chamber would now be too short. Or am I wrong here?
Old 12-05-2010, 01:05 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
They talk about that in the first thread there. Wouldn't cutting the barrel be the wrong thing to do? I've read what they say, but even before I did I had the same thoughts. It seems like if you cut the barrel off, you'd need to re chamber it as the chamber would now be too short. Or am I wrong here?
Yes you are wrong.
the reason for cutting the barrel is to make the chamber shorter
because the Marlin bolt head is deeper than the Savage bolt head.
All you are doing is to make the shell stick out of the barrel farther
so the barrel don't hit the bolt head before the shell does.
.020 is only the thickness of 4 pieces of paper.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

But the whole cartridge is usually in the chamber. If it's sticking out, it seems like you'd be asking for a case head to explode. I guess I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem like something I'd want to do. It seems like it's the bolt that needs to be .020" shorter so that the shell is fully supported in the chamber, not sticking out.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:45 AM
Spike

But the whole cartridge is usually in the chamber. If it's sticking out, it seems like you'd be asking for a case head to explode. I guess I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem like something I'd want to do. It seems like it's the bolt that needs to be .020" shorter so that the shell is fully supported in the chamber, not sticking out.
I think you don't know what .020 is.
you can cut off .020 off of your bolt and then see how much extractor you have left to pull the shell out after you fire it.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do know what .020 is. While it's not much I just don't think cutting the chamber any shorter is something I'd attempt. If you want to do it though, go for it. It may not pose a problem, but it's not a risk I'm going to take. What sounds like the easiest thing here is to just use the Marlin barrels.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:15 AM
Spike

I do know what .020 is. While it's not much I just don't think cutting the chamber any shorter is something I'd attempt. If you want to do it though, go for it. It may not pose a problem, but it's not a risk I'm going to take. What sounds like the easiest thing here is to just use the Marlin barrels.
By cutting off the barrel that is making it the same as a Marlin barrel.
IS THAT HARD TO UNDERSTAND!
It is very hard to teach any one who don't listen.
It is plain to see you are not a gunsmith either or even a machinist.
This my last commit on this subject.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nope I'm not a gunsmith or machinist. It may be a perfectly fine thing to do, and it may make it the same as the Marlin barrel. I'm not saying not to do it, I'm just saying I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it at least not until I heard from a lot more than one guy on an internet forum. That doesn't mean that you are wrong, as I will admit I don't know that much about it. I just linked to the threads I'd seen on what modifications were required to make the Savage barrels work. Other than what they have to say I have no idea what's required as I've never tried to put a Savage barrel on a Marlin.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:28 AM
Spike

I went with the Venture and couldn't be happier with it. I have customs and other production guns and the Venture was used more this year than any other. It's a quality gun at a reasonable price, even the stock is decent for the money. It's accurate with just about thing I put through it. I set out to buy a beater 30-06 to use in nasty areas and lend out if someone needs a rifle. The Marlin and Venture were the two I looked at as well, the Venture won hands down.