Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Cracked Dust Cover on 7600.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:08 PM
Spike

Default Cracked Dust Cover on 7600.

Just a quick question hoping to get a couple quick replies..the plastic cover on my 7600 has a pretty nice crack thanks to my terrain skills in the dark while dragging a monster 90lb. spike buck.....anyway to have this replaced or is it just somthin you gotta live with?
Old 11-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes you can get it replaced but you gotta take the gun apart, including removing the barrel from the receiver, to do it. Fairly easy but you will need to resight after you reassemble the rifle.

Of course the rifle will operate just fine with it removed all together if you want to put it off until after the hunting season.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wonder if there's a aftermarket metal dust cover for the 7600? I that might be worth looking into so you don't break another one.Just a suggestion.Or just leave it without.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:13 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ruger-Redhawk
I wonder if there's a aftermarket metal dust cover for the 7600? I that might be worth looking into so you don't break another one.Just a suggestion.Or just leave it without.
I was also thinking about that. The original 760's had an aluminum dust cover,. I wonder if any are still available, and if they would fit on a 7600.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a old Remington 760.I got it used and it's such a early model it wasn't even drilled and tapped for a scope. I know Remington DOES NOT stock parts for these or other discontinued models. They have parts houses who sell these Remington parts. I had years ago a list of them.I don't know whatever happened to it and by now it would probably outdated. If the 760's dustcover would fit the 7600 is anybodies guess.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

WOW, that must be an old one. My first deer rifle, (shotgun previously) was a 760 .30-06 I bought new in 1956. It was drilled and tapped for a scope mount.

Last edited by keyshunter; 01-04-2010 at 07:01 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-04-2010, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by keyshunter
WOW, that must be an old one. My first deer rifle, (shotgun previously) was a 760 .30-06 I bought new in 1956. It was drilled and tapped for a scope mount.

I really don't know how old it is. I worked in a gun shop back in the late 70's as a second job. This 760 came in and the owner wanted it sent back to Remington to be gone completely through and rebuild as needed. When it came back and he saw the bill he wasn't going to pay that expensive bill.So the gunshop kept it. I was looking for a knock around gun and I bought it.I did a little work for the GS owner and he pretty much gave it to me. I think I had paid 20.00 on it when he told me not to worry about it. I have since had it drilled and tapped. I screwed up I had the barrel cut down to use on three wheeler way back then. I think if I remember right it's cut to 17 1/2" or so without digging it out.I regret cutting the barrel now but it still shoots good.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

That's very interesting Ruger,
I had always assumed that they had been drilled and tapped from the beginning--I believe the 760 was introduced in 1952.
I remember saving for a whole year to buy that rifle. As I recall, it cost $110.00 OTD. That included a pair of swivels installed, a leather sling, a box of ammo, and a soft case. It took me another year to save for a 3x Weaver scope and mount. Of all the guns that have come and gone over the years, that is the one I most wish that I had kept.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

It must be a early production.I always thought so to until got this one.I had a gunsmith friend and he drilled and tapped it for me for a few bucks.He didn't like the way the guy who cut the barrel crowned it so while he was at it he recrowned. I have the original wood here but I found a synthetic stock for it.If I remember right all I could find for it was a inexpensive Ramline to fit it.That was several years back.Actually the rifle in real good shape for it's age.Still has 95+ % of the original bluing. The wood stock has a few notches cut in the butt stock.The forearm has bands and no checkering. I just wish I hadn't had the barrel cut down. I've taken a few deer with it. I haven't taken it out hunting in several years. You speaking what you paid yours back in 1956. I have packed away some old Shooters' Bibles or Gun Digests and some old American Rifleman's from back in the mid 40's I think they are. You should see the prices back then.Seems to me a S&W M36 Chief Special was 36.00. Of course people back then were lucky to get a dollar a hour.I bought a good size box from a guy that was nothing but Old American Rifleman's.When I first got them I was looking through them. Things sure have changed since back then.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default try these guys

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0...7600_dustcover