Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

colt python question

Old 10-24-2009, 05:15 AM
Typical Buck

Default colt python question

I was doing my weekly stroll thru the local pawn shops and found a colt python 6" blued in the orig. box. Shes asking 999$ for it,,,but it has 1 rust spot right where the wood grip meets the metal finish @ the rear of the grip about 3/8" in dia. (if the hammer was ****ed it would be on the left side of the hammer where wood and finish meet) I've always wanted another python and im thinkin i may get it a little cheaper than asking price? Any of you handgunners have thoughts on what i should pay for this gun as is? Other than the rust spot the gun would easily rate @ 99%,,,and as a matter of fact,,,i would almost venture to say that the condition warrants "unfired",,,Let me say that if i buy it im gonna shoot it,,,oh and this is the 357 mag. version,,i know there was a couple diff. calibers but what else do i need to know about these pistols to research a good price?
Thanks for any help
Old 10-24-2009, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

All the comparables I saw on Gunbroker were over 1 K... some way over. If you can get her down a bit it's likely a good find for sure. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Offer her $850 for it, she should be happy with that figure.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Without a doubt the finest double action production revolver ever made. I'd contact Colt and find out if they'd take care of the rust for you and re-blue. Good deal ...jump on it for $850
Old 10-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Python

There is no doubt the Python is a fantastic revolver. No doubt.

I have owned a few of them. And still own two of the 38 Special's.

However I personally can not understand why the prices are so high. Even though they are a great revolver. For $1,000 I would definitely buy a Performance Center S&W instead of the Python. IMO they are more accurate than the Python. And the PC S&W has a better trigger than the Python.

If you are buing a Python for collector value only then it may be a good decision. However I still see them from time to time for $700 or $800. So you are paying top dollar for this one.

Is it one of the older models?? Or one of the newer models?? The older models were made better than the newer ones. Just my opinion. But for a $1,000 shooter I would take a good look at a Performance Center Revolver. Tom.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

As far as I know the Python's were all made in 357 mag. The Diamonback's were available in 38 spl and 22LR.The Diamondback was a smaller frame (D frame) revolver with the vented rib just like the Python's have.Pythons are a "I" frame if I remember correctly.Allot of people confused them with the bigger snake. I had a couple of the 22's and one 38spl.I still have a brand new Diamondback 6" blue 22. It still has the yellow tag on it.I worked for a gun shop when Diamondback's and Python's were easy to come by.Granted the Python's are a nice gun. I personally I wouldn't put that kind of money into one that isn't NIB.The GS I worked for which was years ago was a Colt Distributor. I saw some Python's with issues right out of the box. There was a few that came right from Colt that were out of time.I had one for a very short time trading it for a nice Sako rifle.If you decide to buy it I'd go over it with a fine tooth comb for that price.

On second thought.
Faintly I do seem to remember now seeing or hearing about a Python in 38 spl.I really can't recall it but it is starting to sound familiar.Sorry if I was wrong.

Last edited by Ruger-Redhawk; 01-02-2010 at 03:38 PM.