Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Taurus Judge

Old 02-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default Taurus Judge

Anybody out there have any thoughts on the Taurus Judge? I've been thinking about ordering one but haven't made up my mind. Would like to hear both pros/cons from someone who owns one.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Taurus Judge

I do not own one nor have I shot one. The reviews I have read show that it really is intended as a close quarters gun (accuracywith the 45 Colt ammo is not that great). The American Rifleman has had at least two reviews of this firearm. Taurus now offers a version capable of shooting a3" .410 shotshell. Ifa close quarters handgunis what you are looking for it may be a good choice for you. I think it would make a great snake gun.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

I was looking at it for a snake/varmit gun for when I am fishing/shed hunting/etc. I probably wouldn't use 000 buckshot but more like BBs. Maybe load 3 .410 and 2 45s. Use the 45s for longer range coyote's and badgers. Not really much into home defense with a pistol. I have a short shotgun for that.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: muzzlenut

Not really much into home defense with a pistol. I have a short shotgun for that.
You can't beat the correct shotgun with the proper load for home defense.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:58 AM

The judge would work great for killing snakes. That is, if you're pretty close. It's not very accurate past 35ish feet. Defiantly a close range gun.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have looked at 2 different Judges. (NOT in a courtroom...) I found both of them to be of a lesser quality than I thought they would be.

I also looked at a Bond Arms Snake Slayer, and found it to "feel" better to me. It's a double barrel pistol capable of 45LC or 3" .410's. I'm in the market for one now.

Like was said...it would make a great home defense gun, but I also use a short shotgun.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

My dad bought one a couple of months ago. I was quite surprised when I shot it too. The recoil is not bad at all especially with the small grips. Accuracy was fair and I wouldn't want to use it past 15 yards. He is using it as a snake gun. I really didn't like the fixed sights on it though. But definitely a fun little gun.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had one with the long barrel. I wasn't real impressed with either the 410 or the 45 out of it. At 10 yards I shot at a quail with it and all it did was ruffle its feathers and it ran off. At 25 yards, the 45 LC was not very accurate. All in all, the gun ended up costing me about $100 since that is about what I lost on trading it back in on something else. A shotgun shoots shot better, and a rifle or pistol shoots bullets better. The Judge didn't do either very well imho. For a close up, getting car jacked type of situation, maybe its a good idea.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

For extremely close situations, the Judge DOES indeed perform well. Yall have to remember it's meant for ranges in the order of 4' to 15'. Within that range, a 3" .410 shell loaded with #4 WILL indeed ruin someone's, or something's day. The legally required rifling dictates that the shot charge is going to be spinning and WILL be blown soon after a few feet.