Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Remington Hevi-Shot

Old 04-10-2003, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default Remington Hevi-Shot

Does anyone out there have any real life experience with Remington' s Hevi-shot in 20 ga. on Turkeys ?
I have read several articles on this new product and they are all very good...almost too good to believe. And you know what they say about being too good to believe.
Remington® Premier® HEVI·SHOT® Magnum Turkey Loads Dominate the 2002 NWTF World Wild Turkey Still-Target Competitions

Madison, NC – Since its introduction last year, Remington Premier HEVI·SHOT Magnum Turkey Loads have brought new meaning to pattern density and down-range high performance. When the nation’s best gathered for bragging rights in Forsyth, Georgia for this year’s NWTF World Wild Turkey Still-Target Competition, it’s no surprise that the majority of the top shooters relied upon Remington Premier HEVI·SHOT Magnum Turkey Loads to provide championship results.

In 2000, HEVI·SHOT product managed to blow away the competition and beat the existing world record by placing an impressive 42 pellets inside a three-inch circle at 40 yards. Again in 2001, HEVI·SHOT loads out-classed the competition by taking top honors in all five major categories of the NWTF competition. Now, in 2002, Remington Premier HEVI·SHOT Magnum Turkey Loads dominated the Still Target Competitions by winning four of the five categories.

Remington Premier HEVI·SHOT Magnum Turkey Loads were used to take the 20 gauge Jakes division, the 20 gauge Women’s division, the 20 gauge Men’s Open division and 12 gauge Hunter class competitions.

The secret to Remington Premier HEVI·SHOT’s superior pattern density and down-range performance is its tungsten-nickel-iron pellet composition and the Remington Premier loading process. HEVI·SHOT pellets are denser than lead, resulting in a 10% heavier pellet that retains more velocity and energy at extended ranges.

Superior results on paper targets, superior performance on real turkeys and superior Remington Premier quality – a true winning combination
Anyway...any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 04-10-2003, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Remington Hevi-Shot

I have never shot any 20 ga but I have the 12' s, They are just about unbelievable, especially in the down range energy they have, I compared them with some Winchester both where #5 shot and the target was on a piece of 1" x12' whitepine lumber, the winchester did good to penetrate half way through it at 40 yards and the rem Hevi-Shot put about half the shot completely thru it and splintered the back of the board. I thought they may penetrate a little deeper but I did' nt expect that.
Old 04-12-2003, 08:15 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-11-2003, 04:09 PM

the 12 ga hevi shot is frikkin incredible!
60 yard shots are easliy doable
Old 05-14-2003, 11:41 PM

DITTO ON THE 12 GA.---AWESOME!
Old 05-18-2003, 10:44 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-03-2003, 02:52 PM
Typical Buck

I am wondering, with those type of results, if the 12ga is even necessary.
Can I get the same job done on a turkey with a 20ga. ?
Old 06-20-2003, 08:50 AM

No first hand exp. but here is what my buds had success with. Not one bad exp.

One of the guys that I hunt with did in his gobbler at 40 paces this year with HS 20ga. He was happy with the preformance and shot it though IM choke.

I guess he counted 8 pellets/holes in the head and neck. Good' nuf. I can' t see why I would NEED more that that for proof of exceptional preformance.

PS Two guys that I know baged 18 Canadian Honkers this past fall with HS 20ga. They Both were VERY impressed with the penitration on wings and body shots.
Old 06-20-2003, 10:21 AM

Macdaddy, what size shot did your bud and friends use?

Thanks,

Al