Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

7600 Remington

Old 09-13-2008, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 7600 Remington

I have a 760 carbine in 308. It's always been my favorite rifle. It's accurate, and it points and shoulders well.But I recently gave it to my 18 year old son because I made the mistake of letting him use it once. He loves it as much as I do, and he's the only son I have.

It does knock me around when I bench shoot it. I won't miss that part. And it lights up the sky at dusk.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Champlain Islander

I have a 7600 carbine in 30-06. I wanted a quick shooting gun for hunting the thick large tracts of Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. I didn't want a scope and put on a Williams peep. The raised comb didn't allow for a good sight picture so I contacted Remington and they sent me a straight shotgun stock that matched my rifle's finish perfectly. The gun now closely resembles the older model 760 which came with open sights and a straight stock. I took out the screw in aperture on the peep, painted the ring of the peep red and installed a red firedot front bead. There is often snow when I use this rifle and red ring with a red dot in the middle of brown running on snow is quite a picture and allows pretty quick and accurate shooting. The eye centers the large ring on the peep and I can shoot the rifle very well up to 100 yds or even a little further which is plenty long enough when you are hunting the deep woods away from fields.
Was thinking of getting an '06 carbine myself. What size "fire sight" bead should I get? Also, what type of replacement stock did you get? I'm fairly tall and all the new 7600's have the monte carlo. I'm worried it'll mess up my picture after reading your post. Not sure what stock I should buy, the synthetic or wood.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:11 AM
Dominant Buck

I am not sure about the size of the front bead. It looks similar to the factory bead and fits right into the existing dovetail. The only difference is that it is bright red in color. I got a 20 gage wood shotgun stock from Reminton with the same finish (satin). I like a wood stock for some reason so that is the wayI went. I'll try to get a picture later of the setup and post it.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

my front bead is one size smaller then factory. fiber optics seem to "glow" and make it appear larger ten it is, to me, i cant remeber w/ out looking at my lip what size i ended up w/. ill find out for ya. and i could have picked between red, greenor amber. i chose the red because it shows up well against the snow covered back gruond up here. if its a new 7600 it isnt gonna just slide into the dove tail cuz thewre isnt any dove tail to slide into. you have to order a whole new ramp. remington only tapped on of the screw holes, the other is just a drilled hole. youll have to have it tapped and replace the ramp w/ a after market ramp. i also went a touch taller on the ramp so the bead kinda floats higher above the barrel. you being taller may indeed have a problem w/ the comb being so high. im fairly short so i never had the problem w/ the newstyle stock being taller. it fits almost poerfectly actually. as far as wood or synthetic, thats personal choice. i prefer wood. still looks and feels like a deer rifle not a plastic toy. good luck
Old 09-28-2008, 03:50 PM
Dominant Buck

You probably are right about the dove tail sky. I brought mine to a gunsmith to instal the front sight, the Williams peep and to switch out the new stock and put a different rubber butt on it. Here are 3 pics of my set up.
This one shows the gun and the factory stockunder it.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Dominant Buck

This one shows the front sight. Sorry it is a little out of focus.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Dominant Buck

This one shows the Williams peep which I removed small screw in aperature and painted the ring red. I use this gun when I hunt the big woods of Maine, NH or the Dacks in NY. There usually is snow and the red front bead ringed with the red large peep on snow really shows up. I sight the gun in at about 1" high at 50 and it is usually right on at 100. The eye centers the large rear sight and the gun shoots real well especially when you have to do it in a hurry.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

i also sight mine in at 50/60 yds about an inch or so high. any further and the bead blocks the whole 2 1/2" shoot-n-see target and you cant tell where your holding.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll4/skybuster20/pictures0033.jpg

my whelen pump is the 4th one down
Old 09-28-2008, 05:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Nice collection Sky. I too have the issue of the front bead covering the target. At 50 yds the bead covers the center x ring only so I can get very accurate with the rest of the bullseye centered around the sight. I don't understand how the gun is so accurate on reasonable distances with big wide open sights but it is. I like to carry light guns since I am a tracker/ still hunterand very seldom sit for more than a few minutes. The 7600 carbine is a pleasure to hunt with as long as you aren't expecting 200+ yard shots. My other 06 is a Ruger Ultra Light with Zeiss 3X9 glass. I use that when I am not hunting the big woods.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

last year i made a target on a piece of computer paper w/ a sharpy. i drew a cross hair basically w/ about 1 inch wide lines. it worked pretty well for shooting open sights and peeps vs a round target that is the same as a front bead

Quick Reply: 7600 Remington

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.