Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

chuckhawks opinions credible or not?

Old 07-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: chuckhawks opinions credible or not?

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

So,the choice is to either believe you and chuckhawks,or believe all of the sources above,not a difficult decision at all.
All I can do, as chuck did, is give my opinion. The Beamer is a lame excuse as a sportbike. Call it what you want. Its too slow to be a hyperbike, doent have the handling of a sport bike, unrefined as a sport tourer, guess it needs its own class. I am sorry your dead set on it, at 19K there are much better choices at far better prices.
I currently race about 5 different bikes, my personal one makes 250+ hp on the spray.
I do have a bit of exp. in this department.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

unrefined as a sport tourer
Because BMW never intended it to be a sport tourer,contrary to chuckhawks opinion.That was my point in the first place.

I am sorry your dead set on it, at 19K there are much better choices at far better prices.
Apparently you didn't read my last post,or you would have seen:

I chose the BMW r1200st,which is considered to be a very good sport touring bike by several motorcycle magazines,and although it weighs only 450lbs dry,and handles quite well,it can travel over 400km on a tank of fuel,and it does come with optional 33 liter side cases and a 28 liter top case.So yes a sport tourer can have good fuel range,and a fairly good luggage capacity as well.
I was in the market for a sport touring bike,so I never even considered the K1200S,since it was never designed to be a sport tourer,and would make a very poor sport tourer as a result.

I bought the R1200RSTand after recently completing a 4500km trip through the mountains,I am very pleased with my purchase.It isn't as fast or as light as many sport bikes,but it is lighter and handles better than many other sport touring bikes,while still having plenty of fuel range and luggage capacity for longer trips.

I currently race about 5 different bikes, my personal one makes 250+ hp on the spray.
I was never in the market for a race bike,so I could care less about 250hp or nitrous,since neither would be of any use for touring or for riding the twisty mountain roads.

I do have a bit of exp. in this department.
Experience racing 250hp nitrous bikes is worthless to someone in the market for a sport touring bike.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Because BMW never intended it to be a sport tourer,contrary to chuckhawks opinion.That was my point in the first place.
Like I said in my opinion, its definatley not a sport bike and falls the way of sport tourer more than anything.

I was in the market for a sport touring bike,so I never even considered the K1200S,since it was never designed to be a sport tourer,and would make a very poor sport tourer as a result.

I bought the R1200RSTand after recently completing a 4500km trip through the mountains,I am very pleased with my purchase.It isn't as fast or as light as many sport bikes,but it is lighter and handles better than many other sport touring bikes,while still having plenty of fuel range and luggage capacity for longer trips.
I missed that part, I'm glad your happy with what you bought.

Experience racing 250hp nitrous bikes is worthless to someone in the market for a sport touring bike.
My exp on bikes spans more than 30 yrs. I do have a clue about them.
Your opening statement was about the S model, and you didnt agree with Chuck, I do , that bike is no sport bike.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your opening statement was about the S model, and you didnt agree with Chuck, I do , that bike is no sport bike.
According to you and Chuckhawks,but according to the ten other sources that I posted links to,as well as dozens more that I found but didn't post links to,the K1200S does fall into the sport bike category.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:42 PM
Fork Horn

I bet Hawks is thrilled that people see fit to argue over him to this extent. It almostmakes me want to spend money to read all of his opinions. Well maby not!
Old 07-30-2008, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

lets see.

shaft drive
abs brakes
electronically controlled suspension.
61.5" wheelbase ( longer than a HD sporster )
duolever front suspension
optional bags
optional GPS
optional heated grips

Its a sport tourer in my book. Several of the sport tourers put this bike in to the weeds as far as handling is concerned.
So sport bike it aint.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

shaft drive
abs brakes
The HP2 Sport Has shaft drive and Optional abs,so does that mean that it isn't a sport bike?

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/bike.jsp?b=2008hp2sport&bikeSection=hp

electronically controlled suspension.
The k1200s is also available without electronic suspension.

optional bags
The very same tiny bags that are available on the r1200s.

optional GPS
optional heated grips
Both are also available on the r1200s which also has abs and shaft drive,an onboard computer,anti theft,gps,tire pressure monitor,anti theft,and the very same small bags as the K1200S.I suppose in your opinion the r1200s is also not a sport bike?

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/...eSection=sport

But then again,heated grips and gps can be installed on almost any bike without in any way making it handle or perform any less sporty.

Its a sport tourer in my book
A book that wouldn't likely sell very well.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stubblejumper/ZREXPILOT,
I don'tmean to prolong a discussion of motercycles on HuntingNet,com but as long as we have your creative juices flowing.
Please comment on the NEW Kawasaki "Dual Purpose" KLX 250S asan on/off road bike.

Thanks guys!!!
Old 07-31-2008, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Please comment on the NEW Kawasaki "Dual Purpose" KLX 250S asan on/off road bike
I personally haven't ridden one,or even seen one in person,so I won't even give an opinion on that particular model.As far as 250cc dual purpose bikes go in general,I have ridden several,and found them good for city transportation as well as on dirt roads and in fairly tame off roading.They don't have the power that I need to feel comfortable on the highway,and they aren't well suited for tougher off road conditions.It all depends on your intended usage.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

Please comment on the NEW Kawasaki "Dual Purpose" KLX 250S asan on/off road bike
I personally haven't ridden one,or even seen one in person,so I won't even give an opinion on that particular model.As far as 250cc dual purpose bikes go in general,I have ridden several,and found them good for city transportation as well as on dirt roads and in fairly tame off roading.They don't have the power that I need to feel comfortable on the highway,and they aren't well suited for tougher off road conditions.It all depends on your intended usage.
That about sums it up, its not a dirt bike and its not a street bike, it does a little of both.
Not much power on the highway, prolly has a top speed of 80, if that.
But man oh man, when I was 15 I had a dual purpose KE 175 and I went everywhere on that thing.
Those were the days, I had more fun on that thing back then than I do now on bikes 6 times as large.
I will tell you one thing ,that 4 stroke motor is about undestructible as they come, that thing will run forever.

Quick Reply: chuckhawks opinions credible or not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.