Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Nosler 48 Sporter anyone??

Old 01-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Nosler 48 Sporter anyone??

The HS's have a 1/2" guarantee, fluted cut-rifled barrels... to name a few. I bet the Nosler is an excellent rifle, just personally, I would go custom or HS. I don't want to be limited to ONLY WSM's.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:41 PM

Well I own one of these rifles in 300 WSM and its definately not a dressed up Howa or anthing else. Its fairly lightweight shoots like a house of fire with anything I put through it and feeds like a dream. No complaints and I have owned probably 40 custom rifles in the past 35 years and I would put it up against any of them. Maybe not my Bansner sheep hunter but close. The action is slick as glass and the finish on the metal with its dull grey looks great. Worth every penny.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:52 PM

"and its definately not a dressed up Howa or anthing else"

It is in fact a Howa action that has flutes cut into itto shave weight is'nt it?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:15 PM

well if it is it sure has had a lot of work done to it. Not just a shaved action and flutes in the bolt but new bolt shroud, new bottom metal and plenty of internal work. It shoots less than 1/2 inch with anything that I put in it and that's all that counts for me. Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:30 PM

I dono if it's Howa or not. I heard it was, but it sure does not appear to be. The action is sort of in an octagonal shape right?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:54 PM

it is that shape (octagonal) but the bolt handle does look like Howa, nothing else does though. I guess I could call Kyle at Nosler and see if he would tell me the truth about who builds the action. He has been straight up with me through the buying process as I had lots of questions. I had a little trouble with the stock in that a piece of fiberglass came loose inside and was rattling around. I sent it back and they fixed it that day and got it back to me. Great service.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:08 PM

I'd like to get one in 280 ai.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bobmitro

Well I own one of these rifles in 300 WSM and its definately not a dressed up Howa or anthing else. Its fairly lightweight shoots like a house of fire with anything I put through it and feeds like a dream. No complaints and I have owned probably 40 custom rifles in the past 35 years and I would put it up against any of them. Maybe not my Bansner sheep hunter but close. The action is slick as glass and the finish on the metal with its dull grey looks great. Worth every penny.
Glad to hear that. I ordered one a few days ago and can't wait to get it and shoot some $50/box shells !! Nothing like seeing $2.50 a pop go down range, but I know it will be where I aim it. Glad to hear the customer service is good as well. They told me it should be probably Feb. sometime when I get it!
Old 04-09-2008, 05:37 AM

Hello all. Great forum.

It certainly looks the goods alright. I'm very tempted.

I have a few questions I'm unsure of.
How is the Nosler 48 action made. Is it investment cast or machined from a billet of steel?
I take it the bolt-handle is a one-piece design? The bottom metal-work. Who makes it?
Old 04-09-2008, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

have a few questions I'm unsure of.
How is the Nosler 48 action made. Is it investment cast or machined from a billet of steel?
I take it the bolt-handle is a one-piece design? The bottom metal-work. Who makes it?
This months riflemagazine has some closeup pictures of it. It is a HOWA action that has been scalloped, the bolt shroud is custom. Bolt is all Howa as well. Howa action is one of the few actions left in this world that are drop forged and then machined. The entire bolt is one piece.The bottom metal is custom(probably sunnyhill) and the barrel is unknown origin as is the stock. The stock though looks like one out of a NULA but with a floorplate which would explain the light weight of the rifle. Bill Wiseman in Texas I am betting has something to do with this rifle since he is a big proponent of HOWA custom rifles and makes some great barrels and custom rifles.

Quick Reply: Nosler 48 Sporter anyone??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.