Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Nosler 48 Sporter anyone??

Old 01-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Nosler 48 Sporter anyone??

Name of that gunsmith is Bill Wiseman and it looks like something he would build(Model 48). As far as Kimbers go the Oregon guns were mad of much better material then the current MIM metal that Kimber uses in too many of their components on current guns. Their Quaility control was a little inconsistent and some of the later ones were terrible.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

For that price I'd rather get a custom, or a HS Precision.

HS precision is a sem-custom and a custom would cost twice that with a proprietary action.

The Nosler 48 unless I am completely mistaken is a Howa action that has been scalloped for lightweight purposes and is built by a gunmsith in Texas whose name I forget that specializes in accurate Howas. I think for the weight .stock features and looks it is a fine rifle. This ain't no stinking Kimber or Kimber lookalike I can tell you that.
HS are technically "semi-custom", but they are built totally in house (action, barrel, stock) and come with a 1/2" guarantee.

I'm getting a full custom built that will be right around $2500, thats even with a $650 stock.

Maybe the Nosler would be cool for a collector, but thats about it. imo
Old 01-07-2008, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

HS are technically "semi-custom", but they are built totally in house (action, barrel, stock) and come with a 1/2" guarantee.

I'm getting a full custom built that will be right around $2500, thats even with a $650 stock.

Are you thinking that the HS would somehow be more functional or accurate then the Nosler?
Old 01-07-2008, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Are you thinking that the HS would somehow be more functional or accurate then the Nosler?
They'd should be about equal, just the HS is almost half the price.

edit: I was looking at the price on the wood model, the synthetic 48 is about the same price. So either way would be alright, I would still choose the HS. And they only come in WSM's...
Old 01-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Where did you find their price list?
Old 01-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Where did you find their price list?
Read my edit above...
Old 01-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeep this may surprise you but there are alot of people who buy firearms who do not care about accuracy. I can remember when Dakota said there primary goal was function(dangerous game). Then followed up by asthetics. With them accuracy was actually their third priority.

For the vast majority of hunter's 1/2 inchcapability is completely lost on them. Many of the hunter's are lucky if they can shoot 2 inch groups at 100 yards. And the thought of a synthetic stock makes them sick.

It is also a fact that a custom riflewill usually sell for 1/2 of whatyou paid(if you are lucky) for it. If you need to resell it.Then a high quality non-custom rifle can maintain or appreciate. OF course there are exceptions to this rule, but in general it holds water. Tom.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

Jeep this may surprise you but there are alot of people who buy firearms who do not care about accuracy. I can remember when Dakota said there primary goal was function(dangerous game). Then followed up by asthetics. With them accuracy was actually their third priority.

For the vast majority of hunter's 1/2 inchcapability is completely lost on them. Many of the hunter's are lucky if they can shoot 2 inch groups at 100 yards. And the thought of a synthetic stock makes them sick.

It is also a fact that a custom riflewill usually sell for 1/2 of whatyou paid(if you are lucky) for it. If you need to resell it.Then a high quality non-custom rifle can maintain or appreciate. OF course there are exceptions to this rule, but in general it holds water. Tom.
I totally agree, but the Nosler 48 is a synthetic rifle a lot like the HS's. At first I was thinking about their high-end wood gun, that I said would be great for a collector, just not really for a hunting rifle. The Dakota's seem pretty nice too, but I'm sure with pretty much everythin else, same/better could be had for less. If someone was really worried about function for dangerous game hunting they would be getting a double rifle.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

I honestly don't personally see the difference in the HS rifles over the Nosler. The Noslers seem like a good a good price compared to most rifles with the same/similar qualities: MicroSlick coatings, Cerakoted barrel/action, stainless barrel, hand-lapped, Kevlar synthetic stock (not a cheapy), Timney trigger, only 6 1/2 lbs (lightest HS is 7.75lbs), minimum 3/4 inch shooting guarantee......about the same price as HS.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I honestly don't personally see the difference in the HS rifles over the Nosler. The Noslers seem like a good a good price compared to most rifles with the same/similar qualities: MicroSlick coatings, Cerakoted barrel/action, stainless barrel, hand-lapped, Kevlar synthetic stock (not a cheapy), Timney trigger, only 6 1/2 lbs (lightest HS is 7.75lbs), minimum 3/4 inch shooting guarantee......about the same price as HS.
Nosler is listed at 5 1/2 lbs , it has a better stock and better finish(cerrakote) over teflon and has a very high dollarr bottom metal/magazine setup versus a straight line feed magazine system that HS sells. I would consider a Nosler if it were me but I cannot deal with the HS I don't like that stock or its bedding system. Both have 1/2" guarantees.

Quick Reply: Nosler 48 Sporter anyone??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.