Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

New to Hunting...

Old 12-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New to Hunting...

Buying a rifle is like buying a vehicle. It all depends on what or how you are going to use it. What type of cover, longest range youexpect tobe shooting, your size, any other animals you will be hunting, etc.
You got good advice from all those suggesting Savage. My advice to you is to go to the local gun shop and handle as many as you can (preferrably with your hunting jacket on) and see what one fits you the best. You can't go wrong with a bolt action but if you're going to be hunting only whitetails in timber, there is nothing wrong with a pump or lever action. As for caliber selection for deer - anything from .243 on up. My choice would be the Savage 11FL in 7-08 or the 111FL in 270. And if you are small in stature - look at the model 11 or 111 youth model as it may fit you better. Good luck and let us know what you decided on.