Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Hornady Light Mag

Old 11-02-2007, 05:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hornady Light Mag

Hey All,
I just picked up a box of Hornady 165gr SST Light Mag for my 30.06 to try this year on white tail. Decided to try something a little different this year. Have any of you tried them? If so, what is your opinion on em?
Old 11-02-2007, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hornady Light Mag

The light mags are cool. They use specially made powders to acchive 200-300 more fps.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have tested a few different light magnum loads in three different rifles.Not one load achieved the advertised velocity,with a couple falling short by a fair margin.None of the light magnum loads were as accurate as some other factory loads in those particular rifles,and a couple were the worst loads tested.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tried a box of them thru my 7mm-08 and they didn't shoot as well as factory ammo. Not bad, but not up to what I wanted. For that reason, I never ran them thru my chronograph. Remember, this is just my experience thru my gun. Someone else may have different results. I guess I'd give them a try anyhow just to see how they perform for you and your particular gun.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:16 AM

I have shot them through my 7mm-08 and .308. They have worked great. Killed my deer dead. Swapped to them 3 years ago in the 7mm-08. Good 1 shot kills. Don't know what their velocity is, ( don't own a Chrono ) , but the recoil is a little stiffer than factory loadings, and the deer are dead so I guess it does not matter.

Very happy with their performance.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:50 AM

I have my 308win sighted in for the 165 BTSP light mag ammo. It delivers great accuracy, and performance on game, but I do not know if the performance is any better than any other off the shelf ammunition of asimilar type.

It does have more powder fouling and muzzle flash than other brands, but I have not found this to be a problem.

early
Old 11-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Spike

I shoot the same loads in my '06 and have been pleased with them. Not sure that they are worth the extra $, but they are as accurate as any other loads (around 1" groups). Good performance on deer - nothing to complain about.

Jason
Old 11-04-2007, 04:56 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

I have tested a few different light magnum loads in three different rifles.Not one load achieved the advertised velocity,with a couple falling short by a fair margin.None of the light magnum loads were as accurate as some other factory loads in those particular rifles,and a couple were the worst loads tested.
Agreed, same here. I still have a half box of 308, that I got 2MOA groups with a FN SPR, which can shoot just about anytthing subMOA. Tried them in 3 different rifles. I can achieve thier performance in handloads but more accurate. Just my take. Save your money.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here ya go folks-this is 1 of those times that I stuck my foot in my mouth and commented on these when I didn't know enough about them and with limited 1st hand experience with just a hunt or 2 instead of keeping my mouth shut until I knew for SURE! I didn't realize the accuracy issues.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:26 AM

They shoot just fine in my rifle. Now granted, the only reason I use them right now is because my Dad, the previous owner used them, and I didn't have time to re-zero for a different load. I agree that the price probly ain't worth it, but to say they have accuracy issues is mis-information. Ammunition shoots differently in different rifles. I only shot 4 shots because I was running out of ammo, and the target says flyer, but I what I meant was "Fouler"

early

Quick Reply: Hornady Light Mag

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.