Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

hornady sst bullets

Old 12-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: hornady sst bullets

ORIGINAL: driftrider

ORIGINAL: jeepkid

A buddy of mine shot them at a deer and it blew up on the front shoulder (no penetration at all), then he had to put another in its neck and it blew up on impact too. No penetration at all, he switched to Inter-Bonds.
Are you sure he wasn't shooting the V-Max. They look very similar, except the SST's have a cannelure, the V-Max's don't. Maybe he made a mistake. What cartridge was he shooting when this happened?

Mike
Sorry, I guess I never checked this thread again.

They were the SST's, he loads his own and doesn't even own any V-Max's.

His Dad swears by the SST's though.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot quite a few deer with the 139gr SSTs out of my 7mm Rem Mag when these bullets were first introduced. They all resulted in a bang flop, but I did notice they very rarely exited. And when I found the bullet, they had shed almost all of their weight.

Here is a bullet recovered from a very large bodied 5x4 buck.

I can't remember its final weight, I'll have to do some digging around and see if I can find that bullet an weigh it again. Its about half the size of a dime.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I used them for a few years in my 308 with great results on deer. I need to load some more up!! You should be happy with them!
Old 12-19-2007, 07:18 AM

This was my 1st choice and only ammoso far shot through my newRuger Frontier .308... When sighting her in, she was extremely accurate at 100 yrds stayingat 1" withonly two of 20 rounds out to 1-1/2". This is from a 16-1/2" barrel.... not bad imo. Havent used them on any game yet but will give a feed back when i get the chance to put my crosshairs on something