Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Cheaper Ammo More Misfires w\ Dbl Action Revolver

Old 08-24-2007, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cheaper Ammo More Misfires w\ Dbl Action Revolver

I suppose this is a no brainer to many, but I'll ask it anyway.Have any of you had much experience with reliability problem (e.g. more misfires) when shooting cheaper factory ammo with double action revolvers?
I bought a Ruger Redhawk .44 mag dbl act. and have put about 250 rnds. through it in the past 6 weeks or so. Shooting it in dbl. action mode, with Winchester (standard grade) or Magtech ammo, I'm seeing 2-3 misfires per box of 50. In single action mode, it has yet to misfire.
In each instance of a misfire, there is a strike on the primer. However, when putting a metal straightedge across the bottom of several of the misfired casings, it seems the primers were seated slightly deeper.
I figured I'd just shoot some Gold Dot or Corbor next week when I go to the range and see if they are consistently firing as expected regardless of how I shoot.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cheaper Ammo More Misfires w\ Dbl Action Revolver

Yes. And you can have duds on SA mode, too! Depending on the ammo. Funny, 30 years ago I almost never had a dud.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I shot it yesterday, I had 5 out of 50 rounds fail to fire in double action mode. I put the same roundsback in the Rugerand they fired every time in single action mode.
That tells me there is likely something that is causing the firing pin to strike solidly consistently in double action on this pistol.
I'm taking it bad to Cabela's tomorrow to have them send it back to Ruger to fix or replace.
I'm more than a little disappointed about this on a brand new Ruger Redhawk. I've read good reviews on them. But I suppose things happen in the manufacture process that can cause very slight variances with results like this.
But we'll see how Ruger handles it.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot 40 rnds. of Speer Gold Dot and a magazine of Corbon today with this Ruger Redhawk in double aciton mode. No misfires. I think that it's a combination of things that is causing the problem when shooting Magtech or Winchester standard loads with this pistol in double action.
Undoubtedly the less expensive factory loads aren't manufactured to the same close tolerances as some like Speer Gold Dot or Corbon. And for whatever reason this pistol will just fire 100% if the ammo is within close tolerances in dbl action.
I think Ruger will check it out and take care. Hopefully, no more than the 4-6 weeks I've heard. Otherwise, it's not going to be a backup sidearm hunting out west for Elk in bear country.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yah, that is just too many rounds not working. That revolver needs a tune-up, and I have not heard of that happening with this model, either. Ruger is proud of its springs. So let us know how it turns out. Sorry it had to be your piece.

But I bet that is very fixable. Swap out of a part or two.

I had a trigger job done on the Mrs S&W Centennial (the trigger pulled like a cement mixer!) so I was alert for ignition problems due to a lighter strike. But 6 different brands of ammo later, it is still firing.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have a qualified gunsmith check the transfer bar. On occasion the transfer bar may not be retracting when fired in double action. A shooter at our club was having the same problem.While cycling the action with empty cylinders, Inoticed that the transfer bar was not fully retracting on some cycles. He had it check and fixed with no problems since.
Good Hunting....
Old 08-29-2007, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for those suggestions and comments.
Since the pistol is but 2 months brand new, I'm having Ruger check it out.
I talked with the Service Dept. at Sturm, Ruger on Mon. and they said they'd go through the Redhawk. Cabela's forwarded back to them for me in this case. Even common carries (e.g. FedEx and UPS) don't make it very practical to send handgun even for repair. UPS Store told me it had to be FFL holder to send, (not true). Their own website said "Customer Centers" can. FedEx require you disassemble to the point it can be readily taken out and fired. Well shoot, a handgun on warranty can't be altered to have the mfg. accept it.

Anyway, I'll need to give Ruger Gunsmiths 4-6 weeks or whatever they end up requiring to get to and through the process. I'm hopeful.
Thanks
Old 09-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

MinnFinn; keep us posted on what they found and how it shoots went you get it back from the shop..