Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

new bolt actions?

Old 08-08-2007, 03:14 PM

Default new bolt actions?

which one is better?
t/c icon
mossberg 4x4
s&w i-bolt
Old 08-08-2007, 05:53 PM

Default RE: new bolt actions?

Based on reports I'd say the Icon. However, I have been waiting for them to hit the market for 6 mos now. Look at putting at least 800 $ in one.

That said, which is the best for the money? The mossberg is a little over half that. The I Bolt uses the same barrel as the Icon and will cost around $650+ from what I hear.

So depending on how much $$$ you want to put in one. I personally think I would go with a Savage or Remington SPS before the Mossberg. I can't get past the looks and have never shot the Mossberg so I will leave the testing to you.

Good Luck deciding. That is what makes new guns so fun and the reason I have way more rifles than I can justify hunting with....It's just fun to research, buy, shoot, work up a reload to make it talk to you, then put it up and start over!!!

Dave in WV
Old 08-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

TC Icon, every article I have read on it so far they have been punching some very small groups with them. If they come out with the Icon with a synthetic stock, it will be in my collection in the next year or two.....
Old 08-09-2007, 08:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well since the Icon and the I-bolt are brand spanking new you aren't going to get any information other than what people have read about them in magazines.

However, The Icon has a lot of great features for a rifle that comes in at about $800 - $900.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Fork Horn

I know you did not list it but I would put my money in the reliable
Remington 700 in BDL or CDL.A proven track record and a extremely
accurate gun! Good Luck in your decision. Mike
Old 08-11-2007, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say the T/C also. Really don't see Mossburg having anything really great. Theyw ork but just aren't great in my opinion. S&W...they're simply taking T/C's ideas and facilities now i bet. The Icon though I see as being right there with the rest of T/C's stuff and having great quality and finish.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:54 PM

Depending on what you are going to use it for makes a difference in what I might suggest. IF you are just going to hunt a few things, I would suggest the Remington as well. There really is a long, long long proven track record there. Military and Police, and FBI, and DEA, and a long list of other shooters use it when somebody's life is in the balance. That has to count for something.
Now, if you are going to hunt lots of different game, then look into the TC, maybe the encor or contendor G2 since with that, you can just buy a new barrel and have a new caliber.

Give it some thought.

Good luck

Old 08-11-2007, 10:23 PM

I have both the 4x4 and the atr 100 both in 30.06 mossberg ,the 4x4 is a good gun for the money "easily broke down" but the atr 100 wins hands down for accuracy and reliablity,ive put over 200 rounds through it in 1 month with no issues excecpt for a loose scope mount after round 150