Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

disappointed in my marlin

Old 07-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default disappointed in my marlin

Had to have a .17 HMR so I went out and bought the Marlin 917V even though in my heart wanted a savage. Nicegun but couldn't get mine to shoot. Best it would do was 5 inch groups at 100 yards.Tried different scope bases and rings and scope, 5 different brands of ammo. No luck.Finally went and traded it and got the Savage 93R17-BV. What a difference.Love the laminated stock and high lustre bluing. Hasanyone else had problems with their Marlin.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: disappointed in my marlin

No trouble at all with my 917V, it likes the CCI and Hornady 17 and 20 grain hollow points. Best 50 yd 5 shot group with the 17 grainers measured 0.290". Hope you Savage works out. Actually I've read more people complain about poor accuracy from the Savage than the Marlins, but each gun is different. I'm very happy with my Marlin.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:34 PM

I have hardly anybody complain about accuracy from a savage. I rarely hear it from a Marlin either though. I think maybe you got a lemon. Most of them are pretty accurate. There really isn't much of a difference between the marlin and savage base line models in the 17 line up. Both will perform great for 200 bucks.

The biggest complaints I hear are with the Rugers. They are either accurate or they suck. It is sort of hit and miss.

I own a savage and love it by the way.

Paul
Old 07-16-2007, 06:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

WOW - 5" groups from a .17HMR is unheard of. Are you sure it was chambered for the .17 and not the .22 WMR? This is strange to say the least.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Marlin, and I can hit a quarter 5 out of 7 times at 100 yrds, thats what, a 1 inch group.It has the stainless barrel, not sure if yours had it or not, but I am impressed with it. I was shooting 17 grain Hornady V-Max through it. I've had 2 different scopes on it, and it shot great with both. I too wanted the savage, but I got a good deal on this Marlin from a friend, so I figured I'd give it a try. Were you using a STEADY rest, or was it free hand, or maybe off a bipod, cause I know I can't get those tight of groups off a bipod, and not even close free hand.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:34 PM
Fork Horn

I have a marlin 917 vsf and it shoots real accurate. My friend bought a Savage 93R17-BV. We were shooting together and his savage shot horrible. he was lucky to keep a 5 shot group on a pie plate at 100 yards. He took it back and got a new one. His new gun shoots good, but not like my marlin
Old 07-17-2007, 12:57 AM

Are you certain the scope was good? mounts good? And as mentioned that it wasn't a heavy bbl 22wmr?

Locally if a .17 won't shoot it is an early Savage or it's a Ruger. A Marlin it's not.

Sorryyou had problems but I have a feeling something was missed. Of course, I have had things that were absolute junk too.....when I needed an excuse to give my wife for getting what I really wanted!!

Glad you got what you wanted..... (J/K)

Dave in WV

Old 07-17-2007, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: goatbrother

No trouble at all with my 917V, it likes the CCI and Hornady 17 and 20 grain hollow points. Best 50 yd 5 shot group with the 17 grainers measured 0.290". Hope you Savage works out. Actually I've read more people complain about poor accuracy from the Savage than the Marlins, but each gun is different. I'm very happy with my Marlin.
I honestly don't think I have ever heard someone complain about the accuracy on a Savage, and certainly not when compared to a Marlin.

I've had some older Marlin .22s I got super cheap second hand that weren't worth a hoot.

For the most part, most of the new ones are just fine.

I've yet to see another mass produced, main line firearm that will out perfrom a Savage on an overall basis. There are single cases of course, but I know I have never seen, and don't recall ever hearing of a Savage rifle in any caliber, when in decent hands with good optics and bullets that wouldn't shoot around or under 1.25" groups, with many pushing .75"
Old 07-17-2007, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

I consider myself an average shot and don't think it was me. I think for some reason I just got a lemon. I was shooting off an extremly solid rest with sandbags and a bushnell elite mounted on the gun.Put a few rounds through the new savage and it shoots sweet.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: vadeerkiller

Had to have a .17 HMR so I went out and bought the Marlin 917V even though in my heart wanted a savage.
This says it all. You would never be happy with anything else. Not saying a Savage would not let you down but you WANTED a Savage

Quick Reply: disappointed in my marlin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.