Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Tikka T3 Varmint Review

Old 06-27-2007, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tikka T3 Varmint Review

Well, tonite I went out an did some shooting (battled all the mosquitos). I wasn't having very good luck. My best 3 shot groups were all 1"to 1.25" with my handloads. Between the mosquitos, the grass being too tall to use my bipod effectively, and I think my scope is out of wack.

A few dislikes:

Do NOT like the one size fits all Tikka action. I wish it was a short action. Its a pain in the ass trying to feed it single shot, you have to drop a cartridge in perfectly in order for it to feed.

The raised cheekpiece on the stock does not fit me at all when tryin to shoot prone.

My Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 is going to get sent back to Nikon. The adjustments aren't precise like they used to be, and when I crank up the power the eye relief gets wacked.

A few things I like:

Smooth as glass action, great trigger, and the detachable mag.

Right now I'm at a standstill. I'm going to re-scope the rifle and wait for a day with no wind and no bugs and try it out again after a thorough clean job. If it won't shoot any better, it will either be sold, or get a new barrel in a long action caliber. We'll see how the dealer treats me before I decide.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tikka T3 Varmint Review

ORIGINAL: Rammer

wait for a day with no wind and no bugs
I guess that means you’re waiting till fall time...

I had a Tikka lite for short while and I have to agree that the action is very nice. The clip snapped in place very well. I also don’t like the one size fit all but that’s just personal preference on my part. Good luck with your rifle...
Old 06-27-2007, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

trailer - yeah more than likely I'll be waiting till fall! LOL Once I get all my hay put up the bugs pretty much go away, right now my shooting area has about 2-3ft tall grass on it. This is my 2nd Tikka. I have one chambered for 243, and the one-size-fit all action is not a problem with that gun. With a real short case like my 223 it becomes a pain.

Tomorrow I might try something different. I might fog for mosquitos around my house and set up a target 100 yards out into my pasture and shoot from my deck on the front of my house. Should take care of the bug problems
Old 06-28-2007, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know what you’re talking about tall grass. I’m in the process of making a range on my property and the tall grass could be a problem. I built up the area where I’m putting my shooting bench by about 2 feet of fill hoping that should take care of the tall grass situation and little better view of my back stop. Our bug problem is not an issue until the sun goes down, then it’s RUN FOR THE HOUSE !!! Good luck with your Tikka...
Old 06-28-2007, 05:48 PM

Rammer, might want to consider a backup scope. The Nikon should be great once it gets fixed or replaced.

I just bought a Mueller APV from here.

http://www.mizzoumuleguns.com/id12.html

For $115 delivered, it can not be beat. I compared it to my 3-9 Burris FFII last night. Both scopes at 9X. The APV was a tad bit brighter in full light and at dusk. The APV was also significantly clearer than the Burris which really shocked me.

Anyway, just a thought if you want to get back and shooting quickly without breaking the bank.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll hafta check that out. I'm debating selling my Tikka right now. I'm just not as impressed as I was the day I bought it. It was too good of a deal to pass up at the time, and now I wish I would have just passed it up. Maybe I'll trade it for a new Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x40 with the LR reticle
Old 06-29-2007, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

I have a 308 tikka in the varmit and love it,it will shoot just about anything you put in it.Below is some of the first groups trying different powders with the 155 gr bullet.