Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Rem. 700 SPS Varmint .17 REm Fireball

Old 06-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rem. 700 SPS Varmint .17 REm Fireball

I ordered a new Rem. 700 SPS Varmint in .17 Rem. Fireball MONTHS ago, and haven't heard a peep yet. Has anyone else had the same trouble, has anyone else gotten one? I know they have released the .17 Rem Fireball in other models, so I guess I just don't understand what's taking so long............
Old 06-13-2007, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rem. 700 SPS Varmint .17 REm Fireball

You’ve been mentioning about that .17 Rem. Fireball for some time now and still haven’t got it. YOU are a patient man... and hopefully it comes in soon...
Old 06-16-2007, 12:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

heres me SPS Varmint...its in .22-250 though.

i really like the rifle. seems to shoot good. never really tested the accuracy...figure i'd wait till i got that junk scope off...by that time the bore will be settled in and i can see what she can do with the good scope. 16 dead chucks in 2 weeks aint too bad being that i havent spent an awful lot of time hunting!

good luck with yours....hope it comes in soon!!
(hope my awesome OD green stock dont make you jealous..unless you got one coming in it as well...ive only ever seen them at Dick's sporting goods..i fell in love and had to have it. would liked to buy from a local shop...but they looked at me like i was on crack...)

PS...if yours has the 26" heavy barrel like mine does dont even both trying to carry it on a sling with the muzzle up...that sucker is so top heavy its impossible!! i unload mine and carry it muzzle down...usually only a short walk down a tractor road to get to a spot..just passing that on...it caught me off gaurd and i about smashed it!

Old 06-16-2007, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mauser, it almost looks like you have an XCR stock on that thing.

Pretty handy rifle, I bet, though, but here in TN a Varmit rifle with the bull barrel and all is basically adding more wieght and no more, especially since we have all those woods, there's no reason to worry about long-range.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

younggun...stock came on the gun brand new...looks like the SPS stock..by they only show black on the site.

i dont mind the heavy barrel...its HEAVY....but i didnt buy the rifle for walkin...i bought her for what you see in the pic...sitting on the bipod waitin for a chuck to show up...the long heavy barrel keeps me reallllly steady. i like it...i dont usually walk more than 50-100yds with it. i can always find me a farmer road im allowed to drive on...i carry to much stuff chuck hunting...binocs, electronic earmuffs, rifle, shells, something to lay on, fluids to keep me hydrated in the hot sun, camera etc....i have my arms full

you guys dont have groundhogs in TN??? no hay or alfalpha fields??? we got lotttts of woods here...but alot of farmland too..and thats where youll find the groundhogs..farmers love the groundhog hunter. their holes can be large and numerous. they eat more crop than you would think. livestock can break their legs on the holes, can break equiptment on the holes etc etc....us groundhog shooters are accepted on dang near any farm...pretty fun time too
Old 06-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have all you mentioned in our state, but the problem is that onour particularleasewe havea field that rotates between corn, beans, and cotton, not hay, or alfalfa.
and it isn't all that big, the field is only 100 yards wide, and maybe 500 yards long, but it has a knoll in the middle of it, so you really just see half way, the land isn' really level in that field on our lease.

There are other places a person could hunt long-range, but it's plenty populated, and lots of alfalfa fields have cows or horses in them, or someone else's house at the end of the field.

I bet there could be places to do it, though, Ijust haven't the inspiration to pay over $500 to get a rifle and then $250 for a scope, tons of ammo, and buying another or having to drive to a hunting spot just to nail chuckies, when I could be buying a nice, tumbhole-stock Remington 11-87 for turkey, or other things.