Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Help with shotgun for wife

Old 07-26-2007, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help with shotgun for wife

I actually own a Browning BPS, except in 12 gauge. Great gun, I love it as much as my Benelli. I shoot both rightandleft handed, and would recommend the micro version, as it tended to get heavy. That gun was hauledinhardwood swamps throughout my youth and mistreated but still was a great functioning gun.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

A well established local gunsmith suggested a Beretta AL391 Urika Youth. He said the gas action has less recoil, the safety can be reversed, weight is 5.9 lbs., and the angle of the butt can be shimed to accomodate a left hand shooter.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:16 AM

As a starter gun you don't want an over/under. The recoil will just scare her more than anything. Start with an auto loader to reduce her felt recoil.
This will give her confidence as she learns. Even shooting left handed , which I do , the Remington 1100 20 gauge bored to skeet with a good quality recoil pad is perfect. Reliable, lighter than most, easy to learn with,
and easy to resell later to upgrade to another gun as she improves.
Good Luck! Eric S. Stacy http://www.wideworldofhunting.com
Old 08-16-2007, 09:47 PM

I shoot trap with my Remington 1100 12ga.The only thing your wife might find is it a little heavy.I am right handed, not sure if they make a left handed one.I do agree with StutNTom when he said don't buy her right hand gun if she lefty because of where the safety is on the Remingtons.