Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Help with shotgun for wife

Old 06-11-2007, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Help with shotgun for wife

Moose1915; Thanks for the input. What is a bt -99 micro?
Old 06-11-2007, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Browning Trap model 99 micro is the youth/womens version of thier regular bt99... beautifull gun, i shoot it well too.

heavy enough not to kick but light enough to be easily held by smaller people.

you can get em brand new for about 1100-1200 or pick up a good used one for 500 to 700 bucks. they are VERY well made and built sturdy to last a lifetime.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

HTN,
Do whatever you can to reduce the recoil to an acceptable level for her or you risk the chance of losing her interest in shooting at all.

If it takes managed recoil loads with a limbsaver recoil pad along with a pad she wears on her shoulder then do it. Make sure the gun fits her. a poorly fitting lightweight 20ga will hit her much harder than a properly fit 12ga.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Typical Buck

I love my bps in its field trim . I too shoot left handed as I 'm left eyed but strongly right handed . I picked up a Boito O/U cheap wood ok finnish but an excelent shooter .I cut an inch and a half off the stock and put a white line pad on it I have about $350.00 in the gun . 3 field seasons and a 12 or so cases of clays. I shotmaybe 2000 rounds in a used 6 or 7 owner "trap" gun and am still happy .
Old 06-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Typical Buck

1 more thing I had a poorly fitted .410 (to short) gave me the worst shoulder bruise ever .
Old 06-25-2007, 02:13 AM
Typical Buck

I would NOT buy her a right handed gun. Espically for trap. I am a lefty and NOTHING is more annoying than trying to shoot a right handed gun that has the safety at the back of the trigger like Remingtons do. If you shoot it very fast, it is VERY easy to knock onto safety while shooting.

Buy her a left-handed gun or one that goes either way.

I have a Browning BPS myself and LOVE IT. Best shot gun in my safe, PERIOD. I have put that thing through hell and it has never missed a beat.

For all of those saying that a right handed good is just as good for a lefty....its b/c most of them have never shot a lefty gun or one that can go both ways...

Old 06-26-2007, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would find a lightweight 20 guage that fits her well. Fit is the most important thing in getting a smaller person shooting well. Don't be afraid to have her shoulder some of the side x sides either, some good deals in them also.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:01 PM

get the 20 stoger have one excellent
Old 07-25-2007, 11:08 PM
Spike

A few thoughts:
Much of perceived recoil is caused by the sound. There are some huge differences in noise reduction depending on the ear protection. Going through the shop and looking at db ratings, esp. at low frequencies, can be enlightening.
Fast burning powder allows you to use less grains for equivalent shot performance. Powder gas contributes to recoil as exit velocities can be high.
Gas operated semi-auto shotguns kick noticeably less than pumps or doubles, in my experience.
Stock design can also increase/decrease felt recoil. A stock that has a large drop will tend to kick the gun up into the jaw. There are custom stocks available aftermarket that are supposed to reduce felt recoil.
Some say synthetic stocks can reduce recoil since they absorb energy.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely do NOT buya right handed shotgun for your wife. I would get her a remington 870 20gauge youth model (left handed of course). I'm pretty sure remington makes a left handed model 870. If they don't, then this makes me look stupid.

Quick Reply: Help with shotgun for wife

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.