Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

How to clean a rough bore????

Old 03-04-2007, 07:00 PM

Default How to clean a rough bore????

I need some fast help if it is possible. I bought a brand new Savage model 12FLV 26" barreled heavy varmint gun. I broke it in just like I should have. When I tried to clean the bore, it was impossible. I shot it some more after the cleaning that I attemped and it seemed to be fine. I cleaned it, or at least attempted to clean it and shot it the next day. It was not as good this time. It has gotten progressivly worse everytime I shoot it. This is sunday night and I cleaned on the bore for 2 1/2 hours with brushes, Sweets bore solvent, Kroil, Remington bore cleaner, and a Tornado brush, the one with the rounded wire coils that are smooth and in a spiral. The bore literally ate this brush up. This is a new gun. What to do. Going on a Prairie Dog hunt the first of May, and may not have a gun.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:05 AM

Default RE: How to clean a rough bore????

HDB...

Take a small patch and coat it lightly with JB's Compund. Place the patch over a brush that is slightly smaller than your bore so the combination of the two fit nicely in the barrel( snug).
Run the rod up and down the barrel several times(10) and remove the patch. Is it dark and dirty? Good. Now repeat with new coated patch and do the whole process over again. Do three repititions of this and then clean the barrel with solvent to get the JB's out. Go shoot. Should be much better. If its better, but not up to your specs, try another bout of the JB method. If it still shoots poorly, you may have a bad barrel which happens from time to time with production run rifles. Check the forend pressure, bedding, crown and throat depth. Could be cut too deep.
Good luck.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds like you have a very common problem with savage rifles. A rough,jagged,bore with burrs and rifling tool marks. The only way to get rid of this is to hand lag bore.If you are unfamilier how to go about doing this,I would by all means,reccomend you have a good,local gunsmith do this.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:16 AM

If it shoots good just leave it alone.Had a lot of experience with new gunsthat hadrough bores. One of my newer guns has a rough bore but it shoots like a dream. i just clean and oil it after shooting and leave it alone.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:53 PM

Tubbs final finish.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:01 PM

My Savage shoots better dirty than clean. New ammo is so good that corrosion is not much of a prob. I have a custom Mauser 96 is 6mm that would cloverleaf at 100 yards. then I cleaned the barrel very well. I soaked it overnight, cleaned it, repeated until no copper fouling showed on the patches. My groups opened up to 1.5 inches. It shoots beter dirty too. I am not saying don't clean rifles but some MAY shoot better with a reasonable amount of fouling. And keep in mind, the savage is a cheap, factory rifle. And like all factory rifles they can be improved with some work from a good gunsmith. Stalkingbear is right in that a hand lapping can never hurt.
BTW my savage 110 groups 1" at 100 yards with Cheap Remington Corelokt 180 grains. Can't ask better than that for a factory rifle.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Try sending down a piece of a cotton ball on a jag, if it is rough it should pull of some of the cotton as an indicator of rough spots. If that rings true hand lap the barrel with JB's Bore paste, though you'll probably need 200 or more strokes to accomplish much in a truly rough bore as ita veryfine compound. Do it in 50 stroke increments checking with a piece of cotton ball to see if your accomplishing anything. I wouldgo no further than200 strokesbefore trying it on the range though. You'll need to run solvent patches down the bore to remove the JB, a light coat of oil and let it stand overnight then run a dry patch prior to firing to remove any excess. When using Jb's you need to maintain fast smooth strokes beingcareful of the muzzle & throat area. Use a bore guide, for calibercleaning attachments & 1 piececoated rod. If this sound like to much for you, as mentioned take it to a gunsmith.(You may want to call savage and see what they'll do for you under warranty)

Isn't the Torando brush the Stainless Steel one? If so throw it in the garbage and stick to bronze brushes!

Best of Luck

Old 03-09-2007, 06:42 AM

Many Savage barrels are very rough. The vast majority of rough Savage barrels shoot very well. Just leave it alone, clean and oil as needed. It will smooth out over time.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:50 AM

I'll go along with alsagr. How does it shoot? If it's a shooter, don't worry about it. You could polish the barrel up and the accuracy actually decrease.