Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Thompson Prohunter or Tikka?

Old 03-02-2007, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thompson Prohunter or Tikka?

ORIGINAL: onebadf250

Tikka all the way. Smooth action, sako barrel, guaranteed to shoot 1" group or better at 100yds. Both of mine shoot less than an inch and my 308 will shoot well under that. And around $200+ less than a prohunter.
if you waanna buy rifle with a "guarantee", buy a weatherby vanguard. by the way, my pro hunter also shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yards. haven't shot it at any longer distances yet.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess it boils down to what you like the best. I like the Encorebut I think I like the Pro Hunter a little better. If it were me though, I would get the Tikka and not look back. The Tikka uses a Sako barrel, has arguably the best factory trigger available, trigger is easily adjustable, has a 1" accuaracy guarantee, and the bolt operation is amazingly smooth. Either way you go you will be getting anexcellent gun.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd get the Tikka. Not that the Pro hunter is a bad gun but for the life of me I can't see what makes this single shot rifle worth the money they ask for one. I'm tickled for Camocop that his Pro Hunter is a shooter but the typical Tikka will outshoot the typical Pro Hunter every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Most of the guys I know that own a Pro Hunter are still struggling to find factory ammo or even a handload that will shoot better than 1.5 to 2 inch groups at 100 yards. By contrast it's a rare Tikka that won't shoot less than 1 inch groups with at least one type of factory ammo. Many will do it with several. Both arehot gunsin America right now but considerwhy. There is an ad for the T/C Pro Hunter on TV every 9 minutes. Every celebrity that hunts has been paid to carry one. Have you ever seen a TV ad for a Tikka? Ever seen one on a hunting show? I haven't and that tells me the Tikka is earning it's reputation by word of mouth not through paid ads or thecelebrity hunters being paid to carry one.

The Tikka will give you a 3 shot detachable magazine compared to the single shot PH. It has a free floated Sako barrel, one of the smoothest actions ever placed on a rifle and a super trigger that can be adjusted down to 2 lbs with only a allen wrench. And it costs less than the PH. Oh and did I mention they shoot? Here is what mine will do with factory Hornady 117gr interlock ammo.

That ain't bad for a standard gradeunmodified factory rifle straight out of the box with factory ammo.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

hey camo, lets see a pic of your 1/2" group compared with Todd's 1/4" above. Awesome shooting Todd. I like the pic's. Vanguard? Come on. There is no comparison between a Vanguard and a Tikka. Vanguards are nice but one shuck of the bolts and it's hello tikka where have you been!
Old 03-05-2007, 11:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

hey camo, lets see a pic of your 1/2" group compared with Todd's 1/4" above. Awesome shooting Todd. I like the pic's. Vanguard? Come on. There is no comparison between a Vanguard and a Tikka. Vanguards are nice but one shuck of the bolts and it's hello tikka where have you been!
x1.7million! LOL

Vanguards are OK - but in no way the league of a Tikka.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:02 AM

Neither, have you checked out the other brands like Savage, Ruger, or Remington?
Old 03-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tikka Tikka.....I hope they come down with the price on the mag..Or has anyone found a less pricy mag for it.Last time I checked they still wanted over 50 bucks......
I like my TIKKA.....30-06.....
Old 03-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

sorry i don't keep my paper after shooting, i have more important andbetter things to do. however, if you're ever in my area...i would be happy to shoot with ya.

i've never shot a Tikka (always heard good things about them though), i was only giving my opinion of the PH and Vanguard. my Wby Vanguard .300 mag is by far the deadliest long range rifle i have ever shot. i've still only put 1 box of ammo through my PH, so i still have dialing in to do with it...i'm confident in being able to tight'n up my groups even more.