Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Shotgun Browning BPS reviews please

Old 02-26-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Shotgun Browning BPS reviews please

I have been looking at a used Benelli SBE II with Max Camo and comfortech stockfor $1199. I will use it mostly for Turkey with the possiblity of some fowl hunting and some sporting clays. I have recieved mixreviews on the SBE being reliable incycling lighter target loadsI just stopped by a local shop and held the Browning BPS NWTF. At $525 (600 -$75 mail in rebate) I am wondering if I need to spend$1200for the Benelli. I know the Super Nova and Rem 870s can be had for around $300, but I like how the BPS ejects the shells out the bottombecause 1) If I start shooting clays I won't be ejecting shells at my neighbor and 2) my son is showing signs of being a lefty, so he would be able to use it in the future. I also really like the Dura Touch finish, smoth cycle of the pump action and top tang safety. I held aMossberg in the same shop and it felt ackward and clumsy in comparison.

Please let me know your experiences and thoughts of the Browning BPS, especially the 24" NWTF with Dura-touch.

I appreciate your input!

J
Old 02-26-2007, 09:18 PM

Default RE: Shotgun Browning BPS reviews please

I did a search and found a three page post from September 2006 (link below). Looks like everyone who owns an 870 posted and was happy with it, but those who shot a BPS said it's worth the extra money. I would still appreciate any current reviews and experiences with the BPS NWTF...Good or Bad.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1705769

Thanks,
J
Old 02-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never owned the NWTF BPS, but I have owned 5 BPSs over the years, and I still have one of them. For a pump gun they are hard to beat. They pull up perfect for me, and never had any problems with any of them.

As far as the SBEII goes, I'd say avoid a 3.5" semi auto, I say this because I run a hunting guide service and i see alot of them malfunction over a years time. It doesn't matter what make they are, most guys buy them and don't know how to take care of them properly, and that extra 1/2" the bolt has to cycle sure seems to make a big difference when shooting lighter loads.

I do currently own two Benelli shotguns. I have an older M1 Super 90 (camo) and an M2. Neither has ever given me any problems over the many years I've owned them. This year I decided to run my M1 the whole season and not clean it until it hung up, it still hasn't been cleaned and I put probably8 cases of shells thru it if not more.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wrote a little blurb in your other post about the SBE II, so I'll leave that one alone over here, but here is the take on the BPS.

Makes a very fine turkey gun. Back bored, shoots a nice pattern, and is as solid a pump gun as any made today. You'd have to go back to the 870 Wingmaster (before the express came out) or the Model 12 to find better, or even as good as the BPS. There are a few issues to be aware of however.

First, if it does jam up, which it will not likely do on its own, its a real pain to take apart in the field. My best friend shot one for a few seasons and accidently stuffed a shell up the mag tube backwards. I have never done this, and it was just an accident, but Lord we had a time getting that thing apart and right again. Not really a big deal if you pay attention, but just something to be aware of.

Second, rain and moisture can get under that Dura touch, if it starts to rust, your gun will be shot. This is why said best friend doesn't shoot a BPS anymore. It was his fault, as we hunted near saltwater and he left his gun in the case for 3 days, but, instead of just a good scrubbing, he had to scrap the gun. Stupid does hurt.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:02 AM

Thank you for the information, this decision has been drawn out, but all the input has been very helpful. I called a larger sporting goods store a few cities away and they have the BPS NWTF for $549, after the $75 rebate that would only be $475. Looks like this is what I am now leaning towards. I might even look at the shotgun barrel to have the gun as a back up for an extra hunter. Blued & rifled with cant. is $300, (might just keep an eye out for a used one).

SwampCollie or others who might know,
Is the rain and moisture issue only with the duratouch or could that be with any camo gun? I'm sure the salt water had a lot to do with that instance, but I tend to stay out in poor weather so I would hate to have the same thing happen.

Thanks,

J
Old 02-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had both Dura Touch and non Dura Touch BPSs and none of them ever rusted on me. I am probably one of the worst people for cleaning guns. I hunted in lots of rain/snow/sleet and I never even rubbed them down after that.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had several browning BPS and is my firm belief thay are best pumpguns on the market.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: johnshiredman

SwampCollie or others who might know,
Is the rain and moisture issue only with the duratouch or could that be with any camo gun? I'm sure the salt water had a lot to do with that instance, but I tend to stay out in poor weather so I would hate to have the same thing happen.

Thanks,

J
Honestly I think it was just the salt. The salty air, with the salt water can rust a nail inside a vaccume sealed bag. Don't know how, its amazing. I haven't owned many camo finished guns, two to be accurate. One I have sold off, the other is my turkey gun. I never had any issues with either of them. The turkey gun is an 835, and the other was a Nova. Sold it used for more than I bought it new...so I couldn'tpass it up. I didn't shoot it that well anyway. Only issue with those Nova's is getting moisture behind those metalic parts inside the poly formed receiver. THAT is a real deal breaker, because you cannot stop rust once it starts back there. Only seen this a couple of times, there again, even basic, heck even half arsed maintence will prevent this sort of thing.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:07 PM

Thanks again for the replys. Your thoughts and timeare appreciated. I called a few moreshops for prices and it lookslike $479for the NWTF BPSincluding the $75 rebate isagood deal. The blued deer barrel for $300 even seems like good deal compared to price quotes from other shops, I just don't know that I need to spend the money for it since I use handgunsfor deer. The moneyI am saving buying the BPS vs. the SBEII will be going towards a gun safe. I guess I'll be posting a question about that pretty soon...

Thanks again,

J
Old 02-27-2007, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

I have had both and I like them both, but I moved up to a Browning Gold NWTF and I like that best, so I am selling my Benelli SBE. If you have an interest in a used SBE for a lot less and works just like a new one that costs $1200, drop me a message.

Quick Reply: Shotgun Browning BPS reviews please

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.