Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

First real rifle - mostly for deer, What would you get?

Old 02-27-2007, 01:21 PM

Default RE: First real rifle - mostly for deer, What would you get?

if youre goin for deer and all thatyou cantgo wrongwith the remington 270 models.....ive been using mine for about 3 years and its proved itself worthy
Old 03-05-2007, 03:11 PM
Typical Buck

Deer = 7mm-08 (maybe look at savage package) great caliber for deer. I couldn't be happier with mine. And savage has a rep for accuracy and they proved that to me with mine.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:55 PM

Actually considering what you've told me then the Reminton SPS chambered in 30.06 is a good choice. It's not too ugly and its not too pretty so you don't have to worry about that! It's a good solid, dependable, and yet in-expensive way to find out if you really enjoy the sport. You know, kinda like that first girlfriend......
Old 03-07-2007, 05:04 AM

I didn't notice where you might be hunting. Anything from the .243 up would be fine for deer. Im starting all over this year and with all the stuff to buy I could only afford on rifle this year. I bought a Howa 1500 package in 30-06 with the overmolded stock. I got the 30-06 because one lease I hunt is full of hogs, really big hogs. The .243 and other small rounds can kill a hog but I want to make sure. I want to be able to make it back to the jeep. Anything other than a 710 is a good place to start. Handle as many as you can and go from there. Don't get caught up in the brand hype this early on. At this point any new rifle will be better than your ability to reach it's full potential. Practice a lot.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Remington SS SPS in 270 Win. You will never need upgrade.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First real rifle - mostly for dear, What would you get?

The following is a great recoil page someone just sent me http://www.accuratereloading.com/recoil.html

I own the following cal.'s and have taken deer with each of them:

30-06(remington) great cal., can obtain many different grain bullets, very versitle
270(tikka) fast and flat
7mm Rem mag(savage) great to reach out and touch them, fast, flat and heavy hittingat long ranges (my favorite)
30-30(marlin) great bush cal., not great hitting power at distances, cheap to shoot
243(ruger) little recoil, not as much hitting power as first 3

Why do I have so many different guns???...because I can. It drives my wife nuts everytime I need (joke joke) another one. It is getting harder and harder to look for excuses. As you can see hunting and shooting becomes very addictive as well as everything associated with the sports. Just wait till you start reloading. Remember it's the gunner not the gun so what ever you buy, practise, practise, practise. I agree with the comment,"buy the one that feels most comfortable to you". It's worth the wait if it costs alittle more especially if you are planning on keeping it for awhile. Remember to spend the money and buy a quality scope for your firearm. I've seen too many guys buy a great rifle and them skimp on a scope and be dissapointed. best of luck!
Old 03-26-2007, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would get either a .260 Rem. or a 6.5x55, this cal. is great for deer and any other game in North America with the right bullet!
Old 03-26-2007, 10:34 AM
Typical Buck

If I for some reason had to sell all my guns my 260 would be the very last to go.I have killed a lot of deer with different calibers over the years and the 260 has been my favorite deer rifle.
I still use different calibers trying different bullets and loads but the 260 is the one I like the best.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:12 PM

for whitetails a 270WSM, 270 win., 30-06 or a 300 WSM are perfect all around deer slayers. I've taken dozens of deer with my 270 win. with 130 grain BSTips. I love that gun! Now I'm trying something new, i bought a 300WSM. She will be a tack driver spitting out 150 grain BSTips at 3300 fps.Can't wait to harvest a deer with it this season.The 300 WSM or 06 is great if you ever want to book a trip for a larger animal someday.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:29 AM

NEF Handi-Rifle .243, 7mm-08, 25-06. I have a .243 and use if for yotes and deer.

Quick Reply: First real rifle - mostly for deer, What would you get?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.