Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

First real rifle - mostly for deer, What would you get?

Old 02-25-2007, 11:01 AM

Default RE: First real rifle - mostly for dear, What would you get?

ORIGINAL: M77man

ORIGINAL: Serrinon

Hi all! First, thanks to everyone in this form, I've always got such great help here!

I'm looking for myfirst real rifle, probably mostly for deer. I understand there are many different calibers to choose from so I figured this would be the best place to start. I've been enjoying my .22 Savage, but I'd like to get a real rifle now.
"Probably" mostly for deer? No offense but it sounds like you are pretty young but maybe mature enough to handle a magnum. You could start out with maybe a 7mm-08 or a .277. The next choice would be the famed 30-06 which you cannot go wrong with. Up from there you have the 7mm Rem Mag and .300 Win Mag. Keep in mind also, you can get a WSM in any of these versions. Then of course there is the .338 Federal or Win Mag which will kill anything deader then dead. Up from that is the Promethius to hunt Bin Laden.

Good luck!
If 27 is pretty young, then yes, I am, and no offense taken.I have little experience with firearms, and that's probably what you were picking up on. It's not something that my family ever introduced me toso it's a hobby that I've recently stumbled across, but have been very interested in ever since.

Sorry I forgot to put my budget. Since I'm still getting started I would say that I'm looking for your typical "value" play here.

Thanks to everyone for the caliber help, are there specific rifles like the Remington 700, savage 111, ruger M77, or Tikka T3 that you recommend?

As far as what else I'd be looking to hunt or do with the rifle, well I don't know yet since I'm just getting started.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: First real rifle - mostly for deer, What would you get?

I would get a .30-06 with a minimum 18-20 inch barrel. Look for something drilled and tapped in case you decide to put a scope on it. You'll be good to go against just about anything you could ever hunt in this country.

As for makes and models, the Remington SPS or some of the Savages (I don't own any, but they can shoot, and my friends who use them speak highly of them) are good places to start looking. I use a Rem 700 ADL, which is the forebearer of the SPS line.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Serrinon

Hi all! First, thanks to everyone in this form, I've always got such great help here!

I'm looking for myfirst real rifle, probably mostly for deer. I understand there are many different calibers to choose from so I figured this would be the best place to start. I've been enjoying my .22 Savage, but I'd like to get a real rifle now.

.243, small, fast, flat, accurate, packs a punch and knocks'em in the dirt everytime.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:46 PM

Well if you're looking for a real rifle then the names you listed pretty much cover it. Stay away from the 710 or the new 770 if it's Remington but you specifically mentioned the 700 so that's good. Pick up each one of those and see how they all fit. As for the caliber, I would suggest the 30-06, like I said, you cannot go wrong with it but I would stick with a 22 inch barrel vice the 20 inch barrel that someone else suggested.

Good luck
Old 02-25-2007, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

Choices... Choices...

As for cartridge/caliber, here are my observations:

.204, .221, .222, .223 = varmints & plinking. Speed without tons o' knockdown power. Fun to shoot, & not too expensive for ammo. I wouldn't recommend them for deer unless you were a very competent shot and only attempted shots that were well within your comfort zone.

.243, .25-06 = will take varmints, but be careful if you want to save the pelts.Good deer medicine, especially the latter, but won't stretch into much larger game. Not much recoil at all.

.260, 6.5x55, 7mm-08 = wonderful for deer. Flat shooting, excellent sectional density (longbullets for a given weight = good penetration on critters), and still not a ton of recoil or muzzle blast. Can be used on bigger sizes of game if you're very careful,very comfortable, and use good bullets.

.270, 7mm Mag. = Very flat shooting, more recoil, especially the latter. More than capable of taking deer, and will cleanlyharvest elk/sheep/moose, too.

This, of course, barely scratches the surface. I didn't mention .30/30, which is one of the most revered deer cartridges of all time. If you're jonesing for a lever gun, go with the .30/30! It won't reach out very far, but it sure does its job! I didn't get into the .30-06, either, even thoughthat's my go-to rifle. It's a truckload for deer, and I wouldn't own itunless I planned on going for biggercritters.

And certain calibers are widely available, while others are better suited to handloaders. This should have a bearing on your decision, too.

A lot of it depends on what kind of gun you want. Deer aren't bulletproof by any means, so handle as many different brands/types of rifles as you can, & see what fits you best. Then see what calibers the best fitting rifleis available in, & make your choice from there.

As far as rifle brands/models go, it's hard to make a bad choice. People get zealously attached to particular models, & they'll slam all other options. So some people will heartily agree with whatever you choose, & others will lambaste you for your poor decision. If a rifle has more than a handful of people loyal to it, however, they must be doing something right.

And this logic applies to the Remington 710: almost NO ONE is a huge fan of this rifle! However, the Remington model 700's have decades of loyal fans (me among them), so don't be afraid of those.

So, see what fits you like a glove, & pick a caliber that will do what you're trying to do.One rifle in a mid-sized caliber can actually do quite a bit. Unless you're expecting to go all the way from 13-stripe gophers to cape buffalo...

Good Luck,

FC
Old 02-25-2007, 05:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Remington 700 SPS 270 Win or 7MM-08. You would really never need search for another rifle. Of course what fun would that be?
Old 02-25-2007, 05:56 PM
Spike

Rifle brand and model- pick them up and see what feels right. Caliber-for a first rifle. .243, .25-06, 7mm-08, .270.
Will
Old 02-25-2007, 06:23 PM

I would go with a remington 700 sps in 30-06. It'll take anything you ever need and you'll never have to worry about it. You may not think you'll be goin' for anything bigger for a while, but ya never know what might come up and maybe that extra couple hundred dollars ya pay to get a bigger rifle later on might pay for your trip out west. I got a 06 for my 16th bday and i later bought a 7mm-08 (which I absolutly love) but I know that if I get the chance to go for anything bigger it's still in the gun cabinet and I just need to pick it up, shoot a few rounds through it and it'll be there.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:00 PM

i just got a remington 700 in 243. can't wait to go to the range. the 243 is all i need where i hunt. also got the 30-30 in the cabinet which is a good rifle too.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Folically Challenged

Choices... Choices...

As for cartridge/caliber, here are my observations:

.204, .221, .222, .223 = varmints & plinking. Speed without tons o' knockdown power. Fun to shoot, & not too expensive for ammo. I wouldn't recommend them for deer unless you were a very competent shot and only attempted shots that were well within your comfort zone.

.243, .25-06 = will take varmints, but be careful if you want to save the pelts.Good deer medicine, especially the latter, but won't stretch into much larger game. Not much recoil at all.

.260, 6.5x55, 7mm-08 = wonderful for deer. Flat shooting, excellent sectional density (longbullets for a given weight = good penetration on critters), and still not a ton of recoil or muzzle blast. Can be used on bigger sizes of game if you're very careful,very comfortable, and use good bullets.

.270, 7mm Mag. = Very flat shooting, more recoil, especially the latter. More than capable of taking deer, and will cleanlyharvest elk/sheep/moose, too.

This, of course, barely scratches the surface. I didn't mention .30/30, which is one of the most revered deer cartridges of all time. If you're jonesing for a lever gun, go with the .30/30! It won't reach out very far, but it sure does its job! I didn't get into the .30-06, either, even thoughthat's my go-to rifle. It's a truckload for deer, and I wouldn't own itunless I planned on going for biggercritters.

And certain calibers are widely available, while others are better suited to handloaders. This should have a bearing on your decision, too.

A lot of it depends on what kind of gun you want. Deer aren't bulletproof by any means, so handle as many different brands/types of rifles as you can, & see what fits you best. Then see what calibers the best fitting rifleis available in, & make your choice from there.

As far as rifle brands/models go, it's hard to make a bad choice. People get zealously attached to particular models, & they'll slam all other options. So some people will heartily agree with whatever you choose, & others will lambaste you for your poor decision. If a rifle has more than a handful of people loyal to it, however, they must be doing something right.

And this logic applies to the Remington 710: almost NO ONE is a huge fan of this rifle! However, the Remington model 700's have decades of loyal fans (me among them), so don't be afraid of those.

So, see what fits you like a glove, & pick a caliber that will do what you're trying to do.One rifle in a mid-sized caliber can actually do quite a bit. Unless you're expecting to go all the way from 13-stripe gophers to cape buffalo...

Good Luck,

FC
This was really helpful for me to read, let me put all the different calibers into perspective.

I was wondering how much more recoil you're looking at between a .243, .25-06 and a .270? And how much more severe is it from a .270 to a 30-06? Are any of the calibers I just mentioned NOT widely available?

I was also wondering what the difference between a Remington 700 SPS .270 Win and aRemington 700 SPS .270 WSM is?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks so much for all the help!!!

Quick Reply: First real rifle - mostly for deer, What would you get?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.